Community recipe?

@Nosybear has a recipe been selected for the base?
I've been wanting to make a Kolsch for a while. I found these 2 in Recipes:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/404852/killer-kolsch
Pretty much matches a recipe in Modern Homebrew Recipes.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/9886/summer-citra-klsch-a-successful-experiment-
For perusal two good Kolsch beers I've brewed that I would repeat again.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/372217/kolsch-2
And
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/717899/k97-kolsch

So are we zeroing in on Kolsch for the community brew? Kills two birds with one stone for Firedome and my - our homebrew club has also selected Kolsch as the featured style for Q1.

My January brews are lined up, but I want to add a Kolsch for February. @Blackmuse has an interesting take on a kolsch recipe with some Munich added that looks good

My keg is down to a six pack left so I'll have to start a new brew this week. The Kolsch sounds great , I looked at the 97 and it looks like real doable, headding to the brew shop soon, hope y'all reach a decision soon.

In a slip of the mouse a bought some Leopold Pilsner Malt from Northern Brewer a while back. How would that compair to the New Zeland Pilsner Malt?

My keg is down to a six pack left so I'll have to start a new brew this week. The Kolsch sounds great , I looked at the 97 and it looks like real doable, headding to the brew shop soon, hope y'all reach a decision soon.

I could really social distance with that one, as long as I get a little creative with the hops, it's all on hand(ish).

Went out of my comfort zone a bit with the Shady Bo, but very much looking forward to it being ready in February.
I won't participate in the Kolsch though, will patiently wait for the next community recipe.
Brew on people!

Your K97 Recipe looks interesting to me, I like simple and I've got most of the ingredients on hand. Seems like a good way to try out a new(to me) style.
I brewed a few of these back to back and this one took the cake. The K-97 I found gave the beer a slight tart taste which I assume is to style. Pretty sure K-97 isn't a true kolsch yeast but it's a German ale yeast in dry from closest to what I had available other than ordering white labs WLP029.
Oh I found the K97 doesn't take too long to drop clear either which helps .

I don't know though are we going to randomly select a brewer but?

You know i could write all your forum names down on slips of paper and draw two out on the next scheduled zoom meeting then anounce it in this thread??

Will just need a show of hands if you want to be in it.
That way no drawing out someone that doesn't want to be in it. Well I suppose will just be a redraw in that situation.

I brewed a few of these back to back and this one took the cake. The K-97 I found gave the beer a slight tart taste which I assume is to style. Pretty sure K-97 isn't a true kolsch yeast but it's a German ale yeast in dry from closest to what I had available other than ordering white labs WLP029.
Oh I found the K97 doesn't take too long to drop clear either which helps .

I don't know though are we going to randomly select a brewer but?

You know i could write all your forum names down on slips of paper and draw two out on the next scheduled zoom meeting then anounce it in this thread??

Will just need a show of hands if you want to be in it.
That way no drawing out someone that doesn't want to be in it. Well I suppose will just be a redraw in that situation.
Hey, I got the meetings, someone else can do this. I'm also game with any style.

So, we are looking for a volunteer to be the Brewer of the 1st Quarter?
  • That person recommends the Base Beer style while we all brew our own take on that style?
  • Meanwhile, Brewer of the 2nd Quarter organizes the Base Beer for that Quarter based on input from the other Brewers.
  • Currently we all Zoom together to taste a commercial beer of the Target Style?
Is that it? Am I missing anything?
As I understand it the current front runner is a Kolsch. Several candidates for this style have been recommended & the Brewers are free to pick their own variation.
Is there anything else? Please correct my assumptions & fill in your own understanding if I've missed something.
Unless there's a Primary followed by a General Election or someone else wants a turn in the barrel, I will Volunteer for Brewer of the 1st Quarter.
I await the criticism &/or brickbats.

So, we are looking for a volunteer to be the Brewer of the 1st Quarter?
  • That person recommends the Base Beer style while we all brew our own take on that style?
  • Meanwhile, Brewer of the 2nd Quarter organizes the Base Beer for that Quarter based on input from the other Brewers.
  • Currently we all Zoom together to taste a commercial beer of the Target Style?
Is that it? Am I missing anything?
As I understand it the current front runner is a Kolsch. Several candidates for this style have been recommended & the Brewers are free to pick their own variation.
Is there anything else? Please correct my assumptions & fill in your own understanding if I've missed something.
Unless there's a Primary followed by a General Election or someone else wants a turn in the barrel, I will Volunteer for Brewer of the 1st Quarter.
I await the criticism &/or brickbats.
Here's the post that lays out the generally agreed on plan:
Community recipe?[/URL

So are we zeroing in on Kolsch for the community brew? Kills two birds with one stone for Firedome and my - our homebrew club has also selected Kolsch as the featured style for Q1.

That's a hoot. My club ALSO decided to do a Kolsch as the Featured Beer Style for February. We'll be doing an internal competition which I have been voluntold to judge. ('tis the cross I bear....).

By the way, @Nosybear, since you're in the 'hood, if you haven't tried Wibby's Kolsch, you should try to get some. It (like all of their beers, IMO) is great.

I believe the official community recipe will be a randomly drawn brewer and backup who present an original, favorite recipe for us all to try. For instance, @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews provided a recipe for his Czech black lager. The last I heard, @Pricelessbrewing is putting together a random user generator, but a backup is also drawn just in case. If we want to start before then, @Trialben has offered to draw volunteer's names from a hat to present their flagship recipe. This would be the Q1 2021 beer (I think? I don't speak business, I'm a zookeeper :rolleyes:).

That being said (and I probably missed something), I think it's also fun to have an "unofficial" community recipe where a style is picked and everyone creates/finds a recipe and compares notes. It might be best to move a conversation about this to another thread, and let this continue on as the "official" community recipe thread with the guidelines laid out by Bulin not too long ago.

Too confusing? Who can say? :D

Yeah need a new thread for the first quarter brew.

Back