First London Brown Ale A.K.A. Southern Brown Ale

J1791Hernandez

Trial Member
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at brewing a Historic London Brown Ale. Being a history nerd I appreciated the history and era behind this beer so figured I would give this historic beer a try. From everything I've read the flavor profile is a deep, caramel- or toffee-like malty sweetness on the palate and lasting into the finish. Hints of biscuit and coffee are common. Some fruity esters can be present. Low hop bitterness. Hop flavor is low to non-existent. Little or no perceivable roasty or bitter black malt flavor. Moderately sweet finish with a smooth, malty aftertaste. I'm still pretty new to brewing and would appreciate any sort of feedback, thanks.

Vital Statistics:
OG:
1.033 – 1.040 FG: 1.012 – 1.015 IBUs: 12 – 20 SRM: 19 – 35 ABV: 2.8 – 3.6%

This will be an extract brew method and from everything above this is what I have came up with.

Fermentables
Briess LME Pale Ale - 2313.3g (77.3%)

Steeping Grains
Special B - 5 oz. (4.7%)
English Crystal Malt 60L-75L - 11 oz. (10.4%)
Black Prinz Malt - 8 oz. (7.6%)

Hops
Fuggles - 1 oz. (60 min boil)

Yeast
Wyeast - London Ale III 1318

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.042 FG: 1.011 ABV: 4% IBUs: 19.1 SRM: 27.92

Last edited:
Pretty hard to find a fault with that recipe. I really like the choice of yeast. If I had to nit-pick, maybe you could find a Maris Otter LME, though I think it would be hard to tell the difference in the end.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Pretty hard to find a fault with that recipe. I really like the choice of yeast. If I had to nit-pick, maybe you could find a Maris Otter LME, though I think it would be hard to tell the difference in the end.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the feedback. Took a lot of reading and research to understand the flavor of these malts. Good to see my reading and research paid off. Already ordered my ingredients. Will let you know how it comes out.

Back