New brown ale recipe

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I waited too long to brew a brown ale, and now I don't have the ingredients to match my original recipe. Please let me know what you think of my new American brown attempt :) I chose midnight wheat for the debittered quality, but also have Carafa I and Pale chocolate. Thanks! Batch size is 7 qts (1.75 gal).

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1086028/brown-plow

upload_2020-12-2_10-46-58.png

I think it looks like a pretty good recipe. A little sweetness from the Crystal, IBU’s in the right range.

Looks good I'd probably go with caraffa my self for the coffee chocolate thing but I havnt brewed and tasted what midnight wheat brings to the party.

I think your recipe would be fine as is, though I would actually opt for the Pale Chocolate and drop your SRM down a few clicks, maybe around 20 or so. I currently have a Brown Ale fermenting away that is very similar to yours, I used Willamette late and pitched S-04 as well.

I think your recipe would be fine as is, though I would actually opt for the Pale Chocolate and drop your SRM down a few clicks, maybe around 20 or so. I currently have a Brown Ale fermenting away that is very similar to yours, I used Willamette late and pitched S-04 as well.
Thanks for the suggestion, I like it. Changed

Looks good. I’ve made several brown ales with Wilamette myself and I can assure you it will be a great fit here.

About 3 weeks in the bottle, it's pretty tasty :)
I don't love the aroma (next time I'd pitch under 70F, preferably 65F), but the flavor is nutty with a little cocoa and fruitiness. I'm excited to see how it tastes with more cold conditioning. Thanks again for everyone's input! :) Cheers!
20210102_182326.jpg
20210102_184455.jpg

Lovely looking ale you have there!
I bet if you let it sit quietly in the cold for a week it would clear up even more!

Letting the bottles sit in the fridge is sometimes the hardest part...
Nice looking brew you have there.
I can relate. My last bottle of Janet’s Brown Ale has been sitting in the fridge for several days now. Once I get my Amber Ale bottled, that will open fermenter space for another round of Janet’s Brown.

Back