Community recipe?

I'd be down for something like that. @Yooper thoughts? We could do a new post in the announcements for anyone interested and move the discussion to the beta testing sub-forum. Once we have a list of interested parties, it's no problem to randomly choose a user, then send them a message to confirm them for the next months post, if not interested we can choose the next user and so on until someone is available and willing.
This would be cool if you could make it happen.
I think of it like this a way for new and old Brewers to come and expand their brewing horizons and test their brewing skills.
I looked through my brew report for this last year and found I pretty much fall into the American/Australian pale ale, light lager, international lager, dark lager stout porter category not venturing much past my know how to brew and like brewing vocabulary.
Now the community brew on the other hand can be a way to test our craft as hombrewers test out boundaries push us to brew outside of our comfort zone through brewing other people's beers.
By selecting a brewer of the month and through the recipe contribution it will most likely be a tried and true representation of that style of beer BJCP Natzi s aside lol!
Also It will be great for the randomly selected Brewer to have his/her beer recipie brewed and scrutinised in a friendly environment so those members on here with years worth of beer brewing knowledge and those of less experience can hopefully learn from one another to help us all grow to be better Brewers.

For instance how many times have you had a beer come back from a comp with a less than expected overall score but haven't had the opportunity to explore Maybe why that beer didn't score so well what were the flaws that could be improved on next time round all the way down to recipie selection.

Overall I think we have all got a lot to offer to one another here on this forum the wide ranging experience that I see in the random Brewers who frequent this forum from different countries and with different brewing backgrounds keeps me coming back to learn more. Maybe this Quarterly brewing thing can just be another cool aspect of this vibrant hombrewing forum.
Ok cheers hope ive not Come across too drunk and emotional lol:D.

I really enjoyed the bottle I had last night. The rest will wait a few more weeks.
You will likely have gone through all of yours before mine even gets into a keg!!!

Plan is to let it “lager” in the fridge another 2-3 weeks. Now if I didn’t have plenty of other stuff to drink it would be finished by New Years :) I usually put my lagers in bombers and have a few normal bottles. So unfortunately only 4 bombers this time. I gave away 3 bottles to friends.

Plan is to let it “lager” in the fridge another 2-3 weeks. Now if I didn’t have plenty of other stuff to drink it would be finished by New Years :) I usually put my lagers in bombers and have a few normal bottles. So unfortunately only 4 bombers this time. I gave away 3 bottles to friends.
Save one bottle until mine is ready, maybe we could share tasting notes on the next zoom

Save one bottle until mine is ready, maybe we could share tasting notes on the next zoom
Will do.
Edit: I have to work a basketball game (athletics director) the last Saturday of January (should be only Saturday I miss) Assuming covid Numbers allow the scheduled game to be played.

Last edited:
Will do.
Edit: I have to work a basketball game (athletics director) the last Saturday of January (should be only Saturday I miss) Assuming covid Numbers allow the scheduled game to be played.
Whenever it be, let's do it then.
Athletic Director! This sounds like a new title for you...

Actually year 10. Used to split the job with the basketball coach but he retired so I assumed more responsibility. Now I split the job with the girls coach but I do the extra stuff now as the “senior” AD.

I haven't been able to make any zoom calls yet, but fingers crossed for January. I'm going to try really hard to save my last bottle of Shady Boh until then, but that's going to be a struggle...

After talking to Josh and Craig on the call I think I'll probably do this up this week, I'm planning to go dry in January to drop some additional weight so that will allow it to lager until the January call.

So.. since I'm lazy do we have an agreed upon version of this recipe with a link? Or do I have to root through the various posts?

089EBB95-0C7A-4424-B5E8-2AD54ECAB953.png
. @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews had one on here. Most of us adjusted to fit what we could get. Here is what I did

Last edited:
Sorry I missed the zoom, it was delayed Christmas at my house. Was progress made? I like Bens ideas regarding brewing other Brewers beer & I liked Bulins intro & explanation as well as rotating Quarters. Priceless idea to move the whole thing to beta with a sticky notice/invite on top of the Forum. Terrific ideas. Further new ideas?
So, where to from here?

I like where this is heading! Not sure if I'll be able to get in on Q4 2020 but certainly the next one!

@Hawkbox it's in recipes Shady Bohemian Nosy Style. Assorted conversations about substitution on the Prela Negra with Carafa II & Midnight Wheat for Black Prinz.
Tis what I did for mine
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1079554/shady-bulins-bohemian
I think I loaded the back end a.bit more with Sazz to bring up the IBUs as well.
It's a great beer I've had a fair few litres already and it's got great depth of body to it. It's quite tasty left to warm.
If I'd do anything next run is maybe just Nock the roast down a smidge but this is a personal preference thing:).

What do we think about the random brewer selection? That way there's no confusion either or one or two brewers selected per Quarter then you can choose but I don't mind just one per Quarter.

I THINK @Pricelessbrewing was going to create a brewer forum user pool to generate the selection...

Tis what I did for mine
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1079554/shady-bulins-bohemian
I think I loaded the back end a.bit more with Sazz to bring up the IBUs as well.
It's a great beer I've had a fair few litres already and it's got great depth of body to it. It's quite tasty left to warm.
If I'd do anything next run is maybe just Nock the roast down a smidge but this is a personal preference thing:).

What do we think about the random brewer selection? That way there's no confusion either or one or two brewers selected per Quarter then you can choose but I don't mind just one per Quarter.

I THINK @Pricelessbrewing was going to create a brewer forum user pool to generate the selection...
All the details haven't been worked out. Stand by for news...

Back