Yeast starter, longevity and at what temp. is too warm?

USAinNOR

Trial Member
Reaction score
I had planned on a brew day last weekend, so I made my starter the day before I was to brew. But of course, life and being a father happens and brew day doesn't always get to happen according to my plans. My erlenmeyer (2L) doesn't fit in my fridge, so I had to set it out in my brew room. It's roughly 40-50F (6-10C) in the room, varying from day and night.

So basically, I'm asking if my starter is still good?

Should I feed it, via decanting the clear stuff and adding new wort and nutrients? OR Is it just dead and I should do another starter?

I haven't seen any signs of infection and it still smells/looks ok. It's got a nice layer of yeast at the bottom, equivocal to the starters I've used before (that haven't sat out longer than a day at room temp. 20-22C (68-72F).

if everything was sanitized well and the flask was covered, it should be good to use. You might not have quite as much yeast left as when it was first made, but you'll have more than what comes in a packet. If it has only been one week, the yeast should still be plenty viable.

Great! Ty! Just wanted to hear that I hadn't ruined it.

you did exactly what your supposed to do, chill it when you can't brew, cover very well if possible, then decant, warm it up and serve when you can

always keep a spay bottle of star-sans handy and spray the top of the container and the lid and your hands over and over anytime when handling a starter

Back