Right place? Shopping List request

72hw

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hope this is the right place to bring this up, if not please move the thread or delete... It's really a small thing, honest!

I love the Shopping List feature and use it often, and I get why you might want to confirm the deletion of any given item, but the extra step of having to confirm the deletion is kinda annoying.

My suggestions would be:

A) Remove the deletion confirmation after the confirmation you actually want to delete
B) Make it possible to batch edit the entire list by using check boxes for each item

Again, a really trivial thing but one that IMHO would make things a bit easier.

Cheers!

I sent this to Josh and Cody to see what we can do.

Ok so far I have made the additional delete dialog stop coming up, will see what we can do regarding the batch editing.

I've only just started withe the program, and been messing with it. So far, I love it.

I've actually been kicking around the idea of creating something very like this for awhile, but you seem to be well on track to nailing most of the features I was looking to include. Might be better served to just toss the suggestions out here and let you guys (and your users) decide whether they are worth adding to the existing program.

A couple of shopping list suggestions:

1. Export. Rather than just having the single shopping list format, could you add the ability to export it as different file types? A good number of the shopping list apps and online interfaces that I have messed around with over the last couple of years allow the ability to import different file types. As an example, we are currently using Out Of Milk, which allows csv import. I have various shopping lists set up there for my recipes, and having the ability to quickly export from a recipe builder like this to that app would be a huge time saver.
I can understand wanting free users to access the site (and the ads), so maybe it could be a premium feature?

2. Price lookup. Another thing that would be useful would be the ability to quickly look up prices on certain things, just to get a ballpark on ingredient costs. There are lots of online resources to get supplies and ingredients, and many LHBS have searchable websites. Giving users the ability to set specific websites to search for ingredient prices would be pretty huge. This would actually keep people on the site more, as they wouldn't have to open a new tab to go and search out prices to input.

Along these same lines, you could open it up a bit to allow retailers to load and update stock and price lists directly. This would actually give you an "in" to talk to shops about selling and sponsoring memberships to the site.

Back