Anyone Brewing the Weekend?

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Brewing my Maerzen, only a few days late, for consumption starting in September. Cheers!

Might put off a batch of Cream Ale this weekend...

Nosybear said:
Brewing my Maerzen, only a few days late, for consumption starting in September. Cheers!

Great minds think alike.
Or else fools stick together.

I too have started my marzen for next years competition. The only difference in this years recipe is that I replaced 25% base malt with rye malt. Going for a Hoss clone.

Next weekend is my planned brewing weekend. First attempt at a Kentucky Common. Not a sour though. Just did a soured beer.

Nope, per brew schedule bottle starwberry blonde next weekend, then brewing "Udaman" Pale Ale (4th) followed by "Ryeteous" second a round Rye Pale Ale < just needs a different yeast.

Gern, sir, I am looking forward to trying that concoction of yours! Maerzen is for an Oktoberfest party we're planning with a friend in Conifer, maybe a bottle or two left over for the Brew Hut's competition in September....

I've got even better news for you Nosy. With the Easter ham come and gone, I have a pouch of ham glaze powder doing nothing, so I am planing a "Ham Glaze Brown part II" as my next brew. Should be ready for the May Home brewers nite. You got no excuse this time.

Getting 5 gallons of fresh pressed apple cider tomorrow. Gonna do 3 gallons with EC1118 and take the other 2 gallons and add a gallon of wort to make graf...

Brewed three gallons of lemongrass ginger wheat yesterday and learned a thing or two:

- Don't rehydrate lemongrass, regardless of what the instructions from the spice shop say.
- Lemongrass works fine added to the whirlpool - just start adding and quit when the aroma is good.
- Our cooler mash tuns have some rather interesting thermal effects. I'll write about that one at my blog this evening.

I brew pretty much every weekend, twice last weekend. Keeps me out of trouble ;-)

Brewed a Belgian white off spring today, had to use what I had, taxes ate my lunch lol guess its time to empty the vault

Making "Udaman" Pale Ale today... my very favorite brew. ... so far.

Ham Glaze Barleywine, with 15 lbs base malt and 3 lbs LME. 1 packet of dry ham glaze (mostly brown sugar and powdered honey, with some spice added) put in at flameout. It bumped up against the 1.100 marker.

Attachments

• IMG_7257 (427x640).jpg
    IMG_7257 (427x640).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,220
GernBlanston said:
Ham Glaze Barleywine, with 15 lbs base malt and 3 lbs LME. 1 packet of dry ham glaze (mostly brown sugar and powdered honey, with some spice added) put in at flameout. It bumped up against the 1.100 marker.

Kegged this beer today. It finished out at 1.016 for an ABV of 11%. You could taste the alcohol of course, but it was not off putting. Some cherry, plumb and dark fruitcake flavors, perhaps from the English yeast, or maybe from the ham glaze packet. It needs to age a bit, but I plan to have some carbed up for the home brewers night next Thursday. Don't miss it this time Nosy.

"Udaman" went to bottles Friday. "Ryteous" racked with hops today. "Pale 10" brews this weekend....
But, much to my surprise, "County Seat (Cream Lager)" is what I look forward to brewing again as soon as I pick up another beer fridge to use for ferment temp control.

Looking forward to the ham glaze beer on the 21st - I missed it last year! I brewed a Belgian Blonde this weekend to grow up my yeast for a Quadrupel next weekend. Thinking of dosing the Blonde with some Agave syrup - given the "nose" on my yeast starter, I think a little "tequila" twang would add welcome complexity to the Abbey Ale Yeast byproducts....

Back