Community recipe?

I made a Kolsch a while back and was wanting to try another one some day. This would work great. Looking forward to trying someones favorite recipe.

For a Kolsch, let's start with basics: Pilsner malt, some wheat (optional, up to 20%) for body, Acidulated malt for pH control as needed, Spalt or other Noble hops, Kolsch strain yeast. 1.044-1.056 OG, 20-30 IBUs. Then let creativity and craft reign.

For a Kolsch, let's start with basics: Pilsner malt, some wheat (optional, up to 20%) for body, Acidulated malt for pH control as needed, Spalt or other Noble hops, Kolsch strain yeast. 1.044-1.056 OG, 20-30 IBUs. Then let creativity and craft reign.
I'd have to order so I'm looking at probably March for a Kolsch, I just don't think I can justify another $60+ MoreBeer order to my wife till I use some of the stock of grains I already have :D
So just a few questions from the noob in the room:
Could I get away with using my briess 2-row brewers malt instead of pilsner? (Cause I could buy hops and yeast without drawing attention)
Malted or unmalted wheat? I'm wanting to do a belgian wit and then a dunkleweizen later this spring so I've got both on my shopping list already.
If not the briess can I just add to the belgian pilsner I'm ordering or do you suggest going German?
I think WLP029 will fit my temp range. Any other suggestions. Thanks for indulging me:D

I'd have to order so I'm looking at probably March for a Kolsch, I just don't think I can justify another $60+ MoreBeer order to my wife till I use some of the stock of grains I already have :D
So just a few questions from the noob in the room:
Could I get away with using my briess 2-row brewers malt instead of pilsner? (Cause I could buy hops and yeast without drawing attention)
Malted or unmalted wheat? I'm wanting to do a belgian wit and then a dunkleweizen later this spring so I've got both on my shopping list already.
If not the briess can I just add to the belgian pilsner I'm ordering or do you suggest going German?
I think WLP029 will fit my temp range. Any other suggestions. Thanks for indulging me:D
Any or all of the above could create a good beer. Honestly, there's not much difference between Pilsner and 2-Row. I'd bet you could tell the difference side by side but independently, I doubt it. Your Belgian Pilsner would likely make a better sub. The wheat should be malted. I see Kolsch as a narrow band of Pilsner-like ales. Stray a little into the two-row range and you have a blonde, particularly if you warm it, stray the other way with cool fermentation and restrained ingredients and you have a Helles. I'm going as simple as possible, Pilsner malt, Spalt hops, Kolsch yeast, if I can find a reference, water built to Cologne's specifications, otherwise I'll use the "Light Colored and Malty" profile.

Unfortunately (or not) I've got my next two brews lined up ready to go and the next after those two I'm planning on brewing the bohemian. Going to be awhile for me. I can't keep up with some of you!

Same here. Next 3 brews slated and have the ingredients. It'll be late January before my next order.

I have yet to brew Shady Bo, planning to do that this coming Sunday.
Going to brew my black IPA after that, then I would be up for something lighter in color.
I would offer up a couple of my lighter SRM beers as possibilities
Low Speed Chase 4.2% crushable hazy
Cit Ruby Cit - 6% West Coast IPA with Citra late boil, whirlpool, and dry additions
Cragunitas - 6.3% West Coast IPA, a Lagunitas clone I found somewhere, but doubled all of the hop additions
I use Brewfather for recipes, so would have to confirm/update these recipes on Brewers Friend in case I made any changes

A zoom meeting would be cool in January for whatever reason. I am off starting Thursday until the new year if that is not too short of notice to get one set up.

A NEW community recipe??? :eek: I'm still trying to brew the last one! :D That is actually planned for the day after Christmas.

One thing I'd like to suggest is that we consider the target audience when deciding on a community recipe. For instance the last recipe was an all-grain lager. Fine with me as I brew all-grain and have a temperature controlled fermentation chamber. However, how many members do not have the equipment or confidence to brew a lager? Don't get me wrong, we should also focus on challenging experienced brewers to brew something different. But after a lager, I think the next community recipe should be an ale. Something that would allow as many members as possible to join in. Plus, since many newbies start with extract brewing, I think we should post an extract version of the chosen recipe or at least provide steps to convert an all-grain recipe.

Just my 2 cents.

Maybe a poll is in order? Also discussing at the next zoom would be a thought. I agree on it being doable for as many as possible.

I like the idea of an extract with steeping grains as anyone should be able to join in.
I would also think that if we all started with RO water and have a measured out amount of salts, then we'd all be basically the same.
How about a Stout or a Porter? Maybe some smoked malt or coffee with it?
Thoughts?

Mine never got to 1.010, stopped at 1.021. Really rich flavor, though.

@Nosybear - The Shady Boh went into the Fermenter at 1.046. It rolled along at 40 F for 10 days. I checked SG & found it at 1.026. I raised the temp to 66 F & held it for 2 days. SG was 1.026. I was puzzled as I was at least 15 points high. I read in your post that you had not gone below 1.021 so I moved to the Secondary & to fridge to cool for Fining.

This morning I recorded dates & SGs. My OG was 1.046 & my FG is 1.026 at 54 F. My ABV calc shows 2.53%. A taste test from FG sample was good. Did you miss your ABV by 50%? I haven't Fined yet. I used Wyeast 2278 Czech Pilsner 2 Packs with a 2 Liter Starter. Options/opinions? Should I try more yeast. Reading Posts above looks like 34/70 is the weapon of choice for Lagers.

Any input appreciated.
Thanx

A piece of performance art. Czech Dark Lager art. Yuletide art .. If you look closely you can see a baby in swaddling cloths. 3 wise guys from the East Coast came by and confirmed the image.
20201222_151244.jpg

As Stated earlier 250mls of fresh 34/70 slurry fermented 14c under 10psi 2 days 3rd day free rise set temp at 18c no heat source just exothermic yeast temp to get there that arvo krausen non existent left here for a few more days then cold crashed to 1c for a few days then transferred to keg drinking now tastes bloody great.

@Trialben - the part I missed was Fermented at10 PSI. Your Fermenter is Pressure rated & you used a Spunding Valve? My fermenter is a plastic carboy, would the Spunding valve & the plastic carboy play nice together? Looks like I need to do some research. My limitation is the Conditioning Chamber. I built it 5 years ago to the dimensions of the carboy. A Brew Bucket is to big to fit inside.

@Nosybear - The Shady Boh went into the Fermenter at 1.046. It rolled along at 40 F for 10 days. I checked SG & found it at 1.026. I raised the temp to 66 F & held it for 2 days. SG was 1.026. I was puzzled as I was at least 15 points high. I read in your post that you had not gone below 1.021 so I moved to the Secondary & to fridge to cool for Fining.

This morning I recorded dates & SGs. My OG was 1.046 & my FG is 1.026 at 54 F. My ABV calc shows 2.53%. A taste test from FG sample was good. Did you miss your ABV by 50%? I haven't Fined yet. I used Wyeast 2278 Czech Pilsner 2 Packs with a 2 Liter Starter. Options/opinions? Should I try more yeast. Reading Posts above looks like 34/70 is the weapon of choice for Lagers.

Any input appreciated.
Thanx
I came in right at 4%, not a bad target for this beer! I used Wyeast, I don't remember the actual strain. I wouldn't try more yeast, that's generally a fairly futile effort since the yeast you pitched, unless it was old or somehow compromised, will ferment to completion. What water did you use for the brew? I used RO with just a bit of calcium chloride. Great flavor but low attenuation. It's tickling in my mind but I can't put a mental finger on the source that these beers generally don't attenuate well due to the extremely soft water used.

A piece of performance art. Czech Dark Lager art. Yuletide art .. If you look closely you can see a baby in swaddling cloths. 3 wise guys from the East Coast came by and confirmed the image.View attachment 13325

Looks like someone's been drinking and finger painting with a mash paddle :) Or maybe smoking some of that whacky tobacci :eek:

@Trialben - the part I missed was Fermented at10 PSI. Your Fermenter is Pressure rated & you used a Spunding Valve? My fermenter is a plastic carboy, would the Spunding valve & the plastic carboy play nice together? Looks like I need to do some research. My limitation is the Conditioning Chamber. I built it 5 years ago to the dimensions of the carboy. A Brew Bucket is to big to fit inside.
Ah you bucket will do the job just nicely fermentation under pressure is supposed to achieve a clean fermentation profile at higher ferment temps. It's not critical for a clean lager just ferment cooler and pitch a good healthy cell count and keep em happy.
Dont over think it there is nothing mysterious about lager fermentation:cool: especially with such a forgiving yeast in 34/70 some other lager yeasts can be more finicky...

If you look closely you can see a baby in swaddling cloths. 3 wise guys from the East Coast came by and confirmed the image.

I see a mushroom.....

WRT the recipe, us northern hemisphere folks in the cooler climes can take advantage of the weather if they don't have a lagering space but have access to a colder part of the house like the cellar, the garage or a back porch and with that in mind I vote kolsch.

I'm always up for a kolsch. Can double it up by reusing the yeast on an altbier.

@Nosybear - I used Distilled Water. I added .2 g of CaCl, .2 Mag Chloride & .1 Baking Soda. I used the Bru'n Water ss on BF. Hardness 18, I don't know if that's soft or not.

@Trialben - I have a plastic bucket with deep grooves & o-ring. I have pvc carboys. My basement has a room that's 62 F all winter I where I can use a bucket on the floor. I have a wrap around heater & an Inkbird controller. I guess my question actually is can I use a Spunding valve on non SS fermenter? I see co2 transfers at 3 to 5 psi on plastic carboys, Craigerr showed.

@Nosybear - I used Distilled Water. I added .2 g of CaCl, .2 Mag Chloride & .1 Baking Soda. I used the Bru'n Water ss on BF. Hardness 18, I don't know if that's soft or not.

@Trialben - I have a plastic bucket with deep grooves & o-ring. I have pvc carboys. My basement has a room that's 62 F all winter I where I can use a bucket on the floor. I have a wrap around heater & an Inkbird controller. I guess my question actually is can I use a Spunding valve on non SS fermenter? I see co2 transfers at 3 to 5 psi on plastic carboys, Craigerr showed.
If it can hold pressure go ahead but at 5psi I'm not sure this is much worth while.

Back