Show your DIY Projects

I had ordered the neoprene insulating piece when I bought the Brewzilla, but it was going to be a while so I canceled it and made my own. I originally had a single layer, but the reflective was really quite hot when brewing, so I went back to the drawing board and made a two layer bit. Using electrical tape to hold it in place, but would like to come up with a better way to secure it. The only part that needs to be held in place is the piece that covers the tube.
20201114_120259.jpg
20201114_120146.jpg
20201114_120111.jpg
20201114_120041.jpg

Using electrical tape to hold it in place, but would like to come up with a better way to secure it. The only part that needs to be held in place is the piece that covers the tube.
]

Great minds think alike.....Adhesive baked Velcro? If the adhesive can't take the heat, there's a velcro strap on the market for campers ( think attaching sleeping bags to backpacks) with a ring on the end so you have a cinche belt thing to hold it in place...you can easily make one if you have access to a sewing machine. For your tube, go into your big box hardware store or Walie Mart and look in the electric wiring or low voltage isle there should be a double sided velcro 4 or 6 inch strips for wire management.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VELCRO-B...=sem&msclkid=ad8820b63a66153a26557f071615267e

And Bungee.....think about it.....people jump off bridges with those things....what came first....the act or the name!

Last edited:
I'm a long way from a working forge but my shell is coming together. Spent an hour or more with the angle grinder on it today. Neighbour cut the ends out with his plasma cutter for me. It's not brewing but it should give me something to do while I wait for a fermenter to free up over the winter. Next step is to sand it and paint it pretty.
upload_2020-11-28_18-19-41.png

@Hawkbox, did the Forged In Fire TV show inspire you to start making knives and swords?

@Hawkbox, did the Forged In Fire TV show inspire you to start making knives and swords?

A little. My brother had a forge when we were young when he was doing farrier work and I enjoyed it a lot. The show just reminded me how much I enjoyed doing it. It is a guilty pleasure though not as much without Wil Willis this season.

you engrave it with a dremel?
Oh goodness no, a CNC router that I built nearly a decade ago. Think 'dremel' but with precise motors doing the movements.
But there's probably 4 hours in that: 3.9 hours making the design work with the router bits I have, and 0.1 hours actually making it.

A little. My brother had a forge when we were young when he was doing farrier work and I enjoyed it a lot. The show just reminded me how much I enjoyed doing it. It is a guilty pleasure though not as much without Wil Willis this season.

Yeah, I don't want to invade his privacy but, as a fan it would be nice to know why he chose to leave, or was asked to leave, the show.

I saw something about his wife having a baby so I hope it was just for that, but yeah. The new guy is just not ringing with me.

My forge is painted, need to tap some threads and install the firewool.

upload_2020-12-7_14-42-30.png

20201220_143538.jpg

New brewing table under 2 Digiboils. Had a busy day, a lot going on in this pic. Been working on table for a couple of weeks and got it fully installed yesterday. Janet's Brown hanging in fermenter. Brew room is kept at 68 to 70 so it had to come out and be watched for a week with a bock going into ferment space under sink today. Just finishing transfer of bock to buckets.

I have been using my Hullwrecker grain crusher with a drill with good results. It has just gotten messy as my drill with a large battery and me not paying attention and taking my hands off the drill causes it to fall over and spill grain once in a while. So I built a table and motorized it.
All was well until I found the motor I was planning to use that has been sitting out in the shed for 25 years or so didn't run. Makes me wonder why I saved it in the first place. Then the rabbit hole got much deeper when I couldn't find one on Craigslist I wanted to use and had to buy new. Ran a couple pounds of two row through it this morning, SWEET!! Works like a charm...

upload_2020-12-21_14-51-38.png

I have been using my Hullwrecker grain crusher with a drill with good results. It has just gotten messy as my drill with a large battery and me not paying attention and taking my hands off the drill causes it to fall over and spill grain once in a while. So I built a table and motorized it.
All was well until I found the motor I was planning to use that has been sitting out in the shed for 25 years or so didn't run. Makes me wonder why I saved it in the first place. Then the rabbit hole got much deeper when I couldn't find one on Craigslist I wanted to use and had to buy new. Ran a couple pounds of two row through it this morning, SWEET!! Works like a charm...

View attachment 13310
Nice build! Does it just pull out to adjust rollers?

Back