How much vanilla essence?

The Green Man

Premium Member
Reaction score
So, the Chocoffee Oatmeal Stout is into its second week of fermentation and the yeasties are munching their way down to target-ish FG.
I've read a lot about vanilla essence bringing out the chocolate flavour in brews (and baking too by all accounts). But, for a 20 litre batch roughly how much vanilla essence? I am utterly clueless. What amounts work for you guys?
I will be adding 250g of coffee beans and perhaps the same amount of ground coffee for the last 12hrs prior to bottling. I have read beans for aroma and ground for flavour.
Open to all advice: the good, the bad and the ugly...though the less of the latter the better:D

So, the Chocoffee Oatmeal Stout is into its second week of fermentation and the yeasties are munching their way down to target-ish FG.
I've read a lot about vanilla essence bringing out the chocolate flavour in brews (and baking too by all accounts). But, for a 20 litre batch roughly how much vanilla essence? I am utterly clueless. What amounts work for you guys?
I will be adding 250g of coffee beans and perhaps the same amount of ground coffee for the last 12hrs prior to bottling. I have read beans for aroma and ground for flavour.
Open to all advice: the good, the bad and the ugly...though the less of the latter the better:D
I'd do a measured amount of beer and then add vanilla extract to taste find what hits the money for you then scale that up to your packaging volume.

@Trialben is spot on if you really want to dial it in.

I've also taken to doing 2 drops of pure vanilla extract from a syringe into each bottle prior to capping. Seems to be a good middle ground for my taste.

Doing the drops allows me the freedom on the fly to have some of the bottles with alot of vanilla (3 or 4 drops), some with a little vanilla (1 or 2 drops) and some with no vanilla at all to have a control variable.

Cheers guys. Like the idea of varying it per bottle. Seems like a good idea to nail down the amount. Or, I suppose you could scale it up to put the amount into the fermentor.
Appreciate the input, as always fellas.

I used 3% in a 20lt batch of stout and it was a little bit too much initially but mellowed into the most amazing beer. I would probably start at 2% if I did it again.

One thing I would say is that there's vanilla and then there's vanilla. I used Madagascan extract that was heartbreakingly expensive. Vanilla essence is a different beast entirely and very variable, if I was using that I would definitely test before committing.

I have used vanilla many times. 1 teaspoon in 20 litres will give an extremely subtle enhancement. 2 teaspoons will begin to be noticed by some tasters but others will not notice it. 3 teaspoons would be obvious. Anything more than that begins to taste overpowering with an inky bitterness. Personally I would aim for maybe 2 teaspoons or even 1.5.

I used 3% in a 20lt batch of stout and it was a little bit too much initially but mellowed into the most amazing beer. I would probably start at 2% if I did it again.

One thing I would say is that there's vanilla and then there's vanilla. I used Madagascan extract that was heartbreakingly expensive. Vanilla essence is a different beast entirely and very variable, if I was using that I would definitely test before committing.

Thanks for the reply. I have added about 1.5% of a cheap supermarket vanilla essence that contained 10% vanilla extract so I'm reasonably sure that it will be about right. Will be taking another sample tomorrow as it has a stuck fermentation issue to add into the mixer. This one is involving a lot of learning.

I have used vanilla many times. 1 teaspoon in 20 litres will give an extremely subtle enhancement. 2 teaspoons will begin to be noticed by some tasters but others will not notice it. 3 teaspoons would be obvious. Anything more than that begins to taste overpowering with an inky bitterness. Personally I would aim for maybe 2 teaspoons or even 1.5.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, before reading this I added roughly double the amount that was too much for your brew. So, I am hoping that my essence is not as strong as the one you used. Mine was only 10% extract (just an inexpensive supermarket one).
This brewing business involves a great deal of flying by the seat of your pants I have found.:D Fingers crossed that it works out.
Will be tasting a sample tomorrow so will let you know my impressions then.

Took a sample earlier for a gravity reading and had a taste. Barely detectable vanilla. So 35ml of supermarket vanilla essence (10% vanilla extract) barely leaves an impression. However, I haven't stirred the wort, though it has had a swirl.
I am doubting I will end up with too much vanilla. I have to emphasise that this was a cheap supermarket product though.
I will update this post after I add the coffee bean and ground coffee addition and bottle condition.

Back