Nelson Sauvin

Suga

Premium Member
Reaction score
Have some Nelson Sauvin on hand and want to brew a simple ale with it. Wondering what would be a good hop to go along with it. Only wanting to use 2 hops. ( but willing to use more if sounds good) Will probably use Maris Otter, as base.

There's so many ways to go. Are you looking to use something you've already got?

Nelson can change it's character at different hopping rates. Maybe Amarillo if you're using a high hopping rate. At lower rates I get something more grassy and dry, that strong enough to overwhelm any noble you might add. Maybe something in the newer German hops, like Hallertau Blanc or Mandarina Bavaria. I've tried it with Hallertau Blanc, and it was something that some people loved and others hated. I was both depending on my mood.

Not looking for high hop rates, I can buy if needed but I have fair amount of different hops on hand. Do have plenty of Mandaria Bavaria.
Was thinking about some maybe some Galaxy. But the Mandaria sounds interesting.
Really kinda looking for a good balanced Pale Ale

I'm guessing the Galaxy could overwhelm the Nelson. Brewed with both, but not together. Maybe a 2:1 Nelson/Galaxy would blend well. Probably get you close to some of those fruity Sauv Blancs that were/are all the rage.

I'm thinking the Mandarina Bavaria/Nelson option would work for an approachable pale.

I recently did an IPA with Nelson, Hallertau Blanc and Aramis. It came out great. Research the flavor profiles and then add those for the flavor you are trying to achieve.

I'm guessing the Galaxy could overwhelm the Nelson. Brewed with both, but not together. Maybe a 2:1 Nelson/Galaxy would blend well. Probably get you close to some of those fruity Sauv Blancs that were/are all the rage.

I'm thinking the Mandarina Bavaria/Nelson option would work for an approachable pale.
Yeah I'm leaning that way. The Mandarina and Galaxy are the two hops I have the most of. The Mandarina sounds like a good option
I recently did an IPA with Nelson, Hallertau Blanc and Aramis. It came out great. Research the flavor profiles and then add those for the flavor you are trying to achieve.
Wasn't really sure what flavor I was going for, Have some Nelson I want to use and prefer a balanced ale over IPA. Beyond that pretty open. Haven't heard of Aramis, will have to look into it. Still relatively new brewer 1&1/2 years.

Nelson and Good ol’ Citra work well together.
Separate note, Nelson is the one hop where Ive had the most difficulty getting it’s unique flavor out of. When I buy commercially offered beers that are jacked up with Nelson and have that white wine/earthy and then tropical character. I have made a couple that are solely using Nelson. And used a LOT of it on the back end (whirlpool and dry hopping). They still came out too subtle. I do those same things with other hops and get exactly what I want. It’s interesting.

Think i'm going to try the Mandarina with it...see how it turns out

I'm sorry that I can't offer any help with the nuances of a blonde ale, but there are some very knowledgeable folks here that I suspect will be very helpful.

Ok , I know i said i was going to try mandarina but i saw that azacca has similar aroma so i modified Uncle Nelson and came up with this
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1096178/uncle-nelson-part-deux
All thoughts welcome. I changed the yeast from kviek as i don't have any. but have been thinking of trying. Would it make difference beyond speed?
I think your recipe looks great and I don't see a reason to change a thing. Like your recipe, I prefer my Blonde Ales to be without crystal, just 2-Row and Wheat.

I've never used Azacca, but checking it out it seems like it would make a nice pairing with NS.

Good Luck. Keep us posted!

I think your recipe looks great and I don't see a reason to change a thing. Like your recipe, I prefer my Blonde Ales to be without crystal, just 2-Row and Wheat.

I've never used Azacca, but checking it out it seems like it would make a nice pairing with NS.

Good Luck. Keep us posted!
Will Do. Brewing it this weekend.

Ok, so this turned out decent. I ended up using kviek and was so memorized by how it was ripping thru this i forgot the dry hop.:(
So the aroma is relatively lite. And my first tester was very light on flavor as well. But that only had about 8hrs in the fridge. After couple more days the flavor picked up. And it's decent drinker. Hard to describe the flavors everything is so subtle,but not bad at all surprising taste better with orange slice rather then lemon. Think I'll try to change this to ale thou. Seems like it needs more body.

That's where Megary s wheat suggestion can help with body mashing high can too.
I've tried Cascade and Equinox with Nelson Sauvin I. Sepperate batches. Both beers were delicious.

Yeah I used some wheat, Probably not enough. I was only using it for head retention.

Back