Munich or Amber?

I love amber malt- in VERY small doses. It’s sort of a biscuity dry flavor and I’d use no more than about 2% of the total grain bill. I’ts definitely NOT a sub for Munich malt!
I use a tiny bit in one of my IPAs where I don’t use crystal malt and want a very dry finish and a hint of biscuit/toast.

I love amber malt- in VERY small doses. It’s sort of a biscuity dry flavor and I’d use no more than about 2% of the total grain bill. I’ts definitely NOT a sub for Munich malt!
I use a tiny bit in one of my IPAs where I don’t use crystal malt and want a very dry finish and a hint of biscuit/toast.
Yooper beat me to it.
+1 to all of the above. And just my emphasis.

Sounds like it's about the same as Victory or Biscuit.

I have a bag of it downstairs from the brewery buyout. Sounds like I'll use it in a stout or perhaps some kind of Blonde.

Added the amber to the recipe below. Just copied the 11 version and named it 12.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1084347/gibcs-012

Sort of, but it’s much stronger in my opinion. Very dry compared to the toasty victory.

Would it be a good match for a Belgian style or perhaps a Double IPA?

I don't recall ever using Amber, so I'm kinda trying to figure out what it is best for (besides an Amber Ale).

Part of me thinks it would really do good in an Oktoberfest, but maybe I'm way off.

Thoughts?

Would it be a good match for a Belgian style or perhaps a Double IPA?

I don't recall ever using Amber, so I'm kinda trying to figure out what it is best for (besides an Amber Ale).

Part of me thinks it would really do good in an Oktoberfest, but maybe I'm way off.

Thoughts?

It’s closer to brown malt than Munich, as an example, but not really as roasty as brown malt. It’s a more intense biscuit malt, I guess if I had to describe it (but I like biscuit malt more).

I use a few ounces of it in my Dogfish Head 60 minute clone, and I don’t think I”d use it at all in an amber or Oktoberfest.

I used Amber malt once in a pale ale and it was much more intense than I expected. I think I used about 1/2# and it really took over. That was a good learning experience.

Back