Bottle Selection

MrBIP

Premium Member
Reaction score
De-labeling bottles this evening, I realize that, when I purchase beer, at least a small part of the decision making process is whether or not I know (or think) that the labels will easily be removed so that I can use the bottles for my own beer. I'm finding that I have a lot of Bell's and Founder's bottles. Well, they're both Michigan breweries and they both make good beer, but also, they're labels float right off in oxy clean water.

yes even for hard ones to get off soak in oxiclean then scrape with a dull knife, works great

Ozarks Mountian Brew said:
yes even for hard ones to get off soak in oxiclean then scrape with a dull knife, works great

There's so many bottles in rotation between myself, other brewers and friends (who are good at returning them most of the time) that I've reached a point of not scraping any labels. And if I have work to scrub crap out of a dirty bottle, it goes to the trash. I'm finding any more that coming up with 55 bottles is pretty easy to do.

I just got in the habit of not throwing bottles away and what do you know,Ive got a couple of hundred sitting in the attic, "collecting dust". I still keep em for some damn reason lol

I think when I finally gave away/dumped my bottles, I had +/- 600 :shock:

Brian

The Brew Mentor said:
I think when I finally gave away/dumped my bottles, I had +/- 600 :shock:

Brian

I do have a collection .... since I got into beer 5 years ago, I've save one of everything new I've tried (from containers). So there's something around 250-300 "untouchables" that will eventually find there way to display on shelves, maybe, someday, or maybe they'll just sit and collect dust. :?

I will say that the easiest labels I have ever removed are from New Glarus brewing. They usually come off with just a little water.

It doesn't get any easier than Highland Brewing bottles. The labels are just 'cling' type stickers similar to something you would put in the back window of your car. They can be peeled off before or after you drink the beer, no water required!

So MrBip, I am not the only one with a bottle collection of one of each. I have built shelves all around the brewery to display. Haven't counted but have aprox. 150 so far. They make great crown molding!! Very colorful :lol: . I started collecting several years ago but lost about 200 in a fire in my wood shop :( . It has been fun restoring the collection, but I couldn't get the insurance company to pay for replacements. That would have been a great party!

Head First said:
So MrBip, I am not the only one with a bottle collection of one of each. I have built shelves all around the brewery to display. Haven't counted but have aprox. 150 so far. They make great crown molding!! Very colorful :lol: . I started collecting several years ago but lost about 200 in a fire in my wood shop :( . It has been fun restoring the collection, but I couldn't get the insurance company to pay for replacements. That would have been a great party!

Well it's good know I'm not the only one. I do have some on a shelf, but figure one day I'll finish the basement with a bar and display this growing collection .... and serve homebrew. :)

Back