What did you get delivered today

That's thinking, then you can dry and freeze some and you will be stocked for ages with yeast.

Yeah, and I want to see if there is a difference between the Lallemand and the Mangrove Jack (Lallemand is cheaper).
And I forgot, I also ordered and received some extra airlocks ;)

Yeah, and I want to see if there is a difference between the Lallemand and the Mangrove Jack (Lallemand is cheaper).
And I forgot, I also ordered and received some extra airlocks ;)
I talked with the guy from Inland Island (a local yeast producer) a while back: The basic yeasts are not identical but very similar in most cases. It all depends which isolate of a particular strain they decide to use. Those "Kveik" yeasts bear little resemblance to a Norwegian farmhouse, where the culture would be a mixture of yeast and bacterial strains: The ones we use from neat little packets are monocultures.

back to deliveries:

Almost impossible to take a picture of something so shiny
View attachment 12922
L;arstein maisch kettle.
Simple operation. Got a setting for temperature and it has a timer.
Now I got to hope that my solar system can handle the wattage. Otherwise its brewing on the genny (in which case I will do the mash in this kettle and the boiling on the gas stove).
We will see (once I'm back and managed to dug out my other brewing equipment

And I got myself another present:
View attachment 12923
Let's go shopping!
Nice!

Some proper beer glasses (set of 6)
20201120_141242.jpg

Digital refractometer. Am I too lazy to look through the lens of a traditional refractometer? Yes. Actually, I was getting frustrated trying to decipher some of the readings because either the sample was fuzzy or my eyes were. Most likely the latter. Pricey? Yes, but I deserve it (that’s what I tell my wife). Tested today and a sample I read at 9.0 with traditional was 8.8 with digital.
2E0C2426-32A5-4C8C-B1DC-3742E52153F7.jpeg

Digital refractometer. Am I too lazy to look through the lens of a traditional refractometer? Yes. Actually, I was getting frustrated trying to decipher some of the readings because either the sample was fuzzy or my eyes were. Most likely the latter. Pricey? Yes, but I deserve it (that’s what I tell my wife). Tested today and a sample I read at 9.0ur with traditional was 8.8 with digital.
View attachment 13021
Nice purchase. I went digital refractometers at work also for the exact same reason. I pull so many samples it became a real pain. At home, it's a little easier to deal with and it seems like if I lift the clear plate and lay it back down, it helps.

Digital refractometer. Am I too lazy to look through the lens of a traditional refractometer? Yes. Actually, I was getting frustrated trying to decipher some of the readings because either the sample was fuzzy or my eyes were. Most likely the latter. Pricey? Yes, but I deserve it (that’s what I tell my wife). Tested today and a sample I read at 9.0 with traditional was 8.8 with digital.
View attachment 13021
That's not a brulosoph inspired purchase?
I see those guys use these...
Anyhow very cool :)

Yesterday: orders from MoreBeer and Yakima Valley Hops both arrived. A pound each of Cascade, Chinook and Mt. Hood and 3 different Mangrove Jack yeasts; Liberty Bell, New World Strong Ale and Empire Ale from YVH. After using 4.4% AA Cascade from the 2018 crop, it was great to see the 2019 crop I got is 8.3%.
From MoreBeer it was just grains; Brewers Malt, Pale Ale Malt, Red Wheat and C-15, all Briess. I'm set until after Christmas now.

How much work are they to maintain? They look neat but if it's like a PH meter I'll use it 3 times and never touch it again.

How much work are they to maintain? They look neat but if it's like a PH meter I'll use it 3 times and never touch it again.
Maintenance free. Like a traditional refractometer, you’re supposed to calibrate before each use. But, instead of turning a screw, place two or three drops of distilled water in the well/lense, hit the “zero” button and done. To measure, wipe off distilled water, two or three drops of wort in the well and hit “Read”. Immediate results. You still have run your numbers through a calculator when alcohol is present.

Yesterday: orders from MoreBeer and Yakima Valley Hops both arrived. A pound each of Cascade, Chinook and Mt. Hood and 3 different Mangrove Jack yeasts; Liberty Bell, New World Strong Ale and Empire Ale from YVH. After using 4.4% AA Cascade from the 2018 crop, it was great to see the 2019 crop I got is 8.3%.
From MoreBeer it was just grains; Brewers Malt, Pale Ale Malt, Red Wheat and C-15, all Briess. I'm set until after Christmas now.
What are your plans for the chinook?

Just keeping my inventory level up. When I get down to about a pound, I order more. I use Chinook regularly, mostly in Pales and IPAs, for both bittering and flavor/aroma. Next to Cascade, it's my most used hop.

Man I wish, they never get below $60 here.

Back