Oatmeal Stout (first partial mash)

Smash café

Trial Member
Reaction score
Making the leap into partial mash while saving up and preparing for going all grain.
I have borrowed this recipie from brew target (open source homebrew program), but translated the grain bill into the grains available (German Weyermann) from my local homebrew shop using:- http://www.brew.is/files/malt.html & http://www.brewstock.com/brewstockbrewing.html. It was my first time using the calculators on this site. I have replaced the flaked oats with rolled oats as I can not source flaked oats in Dublin. How do people think it would turn out? are the comparision charts for grain accurate? should I tweek something.
Really looking forward to feed back and sugestions before I put it on.

Thanks in advance.

I would be careful using so much Carafa, the grain I use seems to take over the whole beer, it might just be my supplier but its soft and has a bunch of sediment, if your using it just for color I would use black malt or debittered black

I'd agree on the Carafa - it gets a little too intense for my taste above about 300 grams. Rolled oats and flaked oats are essentially the same product. My preference there would be to get what we Yanks call the "old fashioned" variety, the kind that take 5 minutes to cook, but you can use the 1 minute variety too. Don't use the "steel cut" variety without cooking them first, the starches aren't gelatinized and won't convert in your mash!

Thanks for the input.
I pretty much replaced the grain bill gram for gram. substituting simpsons choc malt with carafa2 and simpsons black malt with carafa3. Would I have run into the same overpowering problems using the original grain bill? or is carafa more powerfull a flavour than the simpsons grains?
I'll be using what the yanks call the "old fasioned rolled oat", and what the irish call oats. If the recipe is a sucess I would love to run 2 brews one with each and see if I can notice any diference.

use the carafa in small amounts like 6 ounces max then anything black just for color say 2 ounces

The Carafa will give you a nice ruby-red color but at above about 8 ounces, the overall impression is opaque black.

So cracked a bottle of this today as it is the eve of Paddy's day.
Shouldn't officially be ready till staurday, but I love it!
Thick creamy body with a nice almost burnt after taste. Lovely head at first, but dies down into a nice thin creamy layer pretty fast. I might add some un-malted barly and / or wheat next time to try to get the head to hold better.
I know it will taste even better with time in the bottle. The only trick will be making it last through the Paddy's day debauchery now that I know how good it is.

Back