Equipment Upgrade

nflamedrash

Premium Member
Reaction score
After 18 years I have decided to move from 5 gallon batches to 10/15 gallon batches. I have already purchased 20 gallon pots to support this change and plan to use 6.5 gallon Carboys for fermentation because I have a dozen of them.

My question concerns a burner capable of bringing 17 gallons to a boil in a reasonable time. I currently use one of the Dark Star burners an find that it takes more than an hour to bring 17 gallons to a boil. Not to mention it is very unstable. I have been looking at the Blichmann burner but am also open to any suggestions others may have.

I have no idea why I waited so long to increase batch volume, but I am looking forward to the time savings.

Ozarks Mountian Brew said:
you might look at some 220000-BTU burners, should do the trick, I went all electric 5 years ago so cant give a hands on answer

http://www.homebrewing.org/18-Propane-B ... _3214.html

That's a good burner. I use it all the time and rarely hit the max output on my 5 gallon batches. When I do it brings the temp up super fast (we're talking faucet water to dough in temps in ~10 minutes if I remember correctly)

That's the type burner that I use also. It works great! The trick is to make sure that you have an adjustable regulator, I bought my burners from Academy Sporting goods for $12.00 each and the regulator from Tractor supply for around $20.00

We sell an 185,000 BTU burner and have only had great reviews on it.
http://www.thebrewmentor.com/SearchResu ... 00&Submit=

Whatever burner you end up deciding on, you'll likely need to put your propane tank in a bin of warm water. With that much gas flow, it's common for them to freeze up.
Good luck,
Brian

If you purchase a cast burner put a drill into each of the wholes to clean them out. I found about 1/2 them plugged with slag form casting.Now every flame tip is the same.

+1 on the drill bit. My burner was much more efficient after the drilling. It had never put out even flames before that. I had bought it used with most of my setup and I am sure a boil over or 2 had been part of it also.

Back