S-05 Pitch Rate

Dirty Dingo Brewing CO.

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I pretty much only use 04 and 05, and I personally enjoy 05 more. Being a homebrewer without all of the fancy equipment, I can't cold crash, or control fermentation temp 100%, both of which I feel would make the 04 better than the 05.

Anyways, I've never pitched more than a single packet of 05, and when I asked a craft brewer here in Sydney, he said he pitches less and higher fermentation temps for the 05 and has good results. What are the biggest changes in flavour by using a higher pitch rate? And is this something you guys fret about? I find my beers are pretty damn good, but I'm ready to go to the next level. I'm actually entered into a tournament through Batch here in Sydney, so we shall see!

Cheers

Good luck Mate, hope you win. US-05 is a pretty clean yeast so if you want more flavour I'd suggest trying something else, but just tossing a packet in a standard 20-24L batch should be more than adequate honestly.
If you go about 6% ABV or the packs really old I'd say throw two but the risk of causing a problem with to much yeast is really low.

I pitch 2 for a 7% IPA. I believe it depends on volume and ABV. You can use the pitch rate calculator. Make sure you have the minimum plus a little margin. I don't see an advantage of too much yeast, but others can

S04 can tolerate a low pitch. It also keeps it from puking out the top. I just brewed a 1.060 pale ale, one packet for 7 gallons (26 liters) and it’s done in @ 4 days. I like S04 better than US05 because it has a lower finish pH and it as clean as US05 at low temps and still fairly clean at 72F.

I've heard a lot of good things about it, I follow Genus Brewing and they use s04 all the time and prefer it to 05. I recently used 04 in a SMaSH that I make often, and definitely preferred the 05. Felt that the beer was overly acidic, I don't think the 04 handles changes in temperature that the 05 can. I thought that maybe I under pitched? Good to hear you think it can handle the extra workload

Just my .02 but if you don't have fermentation temp control, 05 is a better choice. In my experiences 04 doesn't do well with temp fluctuation during fermentation.
Also, with 05 I do typically use a pitch rate calc. and have great results. Some don't care for 05 but it is my go to yeast.

Last edited:
Those are the two I use as well. I really like US05 but every time I've had a slow or non-starter it's been with US05. That's more a comment on my own processes rather than the yeast, I just think that US05 is a little less tolerant of a clumsy brewer :)

I can't cold crash, or control fermentation temp 100%, both of which I feel would make the 04 better than the 05.

Try out some Kviek! It flocculates like crazy, it finishes clean and prefers the higher temps. I have used 04 and 05 for years and had good results but I had my mind blown a few months ago using Imperial's A44 which is a blend of 3 Norwegian strains. I like a malt forward dark ale with fruity esters so to test this stuff out I used the same old brown ale recipe I have made for years now....2 words .....Game Changer!

@thunderwagn Yeah, I really like the 05 as well, not sure why it gets such a bad rap, I just think it's like a video game where a specific build works better, or at least is more effective gameplay, than others. With the 04, I DEFINITELY noticed it can't handle the temp changes, works beautiful in winter, not so much in spring. I also prefer 05 because it will finish in about 5 days, and I brew for consumption because of the beer prices in Australia.

@Steve SPF I've actually never had a slow start before, only when I VERY first started, and that was because I wasn't aerating the wort enough. Now I have an immersion chiller as well, which seems to get a better start up as well.

@Ward Chillington I will DEFINITELY be using Kviek in summer, we've had a bit of a mild spring, which is a first for me (we are in La Niña), I'm very excited. The MOST CRUSHABLE 8.5% IPA I've ever had was using that yeast. Was called Dad Jokes at a brewery back home in Gurnee, IL called Only Child Brewing. It was super clean, super crisp, and very drinkable. People say it is super fruity estery, but I've had beers where that isn't very dominant. That IPA I had back home didn't have a huge malt backbone either, I would say probably 2 row and maybe a wheat? Pils? It was definitely clear on the SRM.

Back