Community recipe?

Are y'all using a lager water profile, or a dark larger (like Munich water) profile? I'll be using RO and adding CaCl2, but not sure about any gypsum. Maybe just enough to balance out the chloride: sulfate?

This is the grain bill I came up with for a 1 gal batch:
upload_2020-11-18_8-31-18.png

I'm going full-on Plzen for the water - very soft.
I am using RO water plus 2 grams of Calcium Chloride, and 1 gram of Epsom, gives me this:
Ca2+ 19 Mg2+ 4 Na+ 8 Cl- 48 SO42- 1 HCO3- 16
Is this a good profile?
Forgive me, for I have not lagered.

I am using RO water plus 2 grams of Calcium Chloride, and 1 gram of Epsom, gives me this:
Ca2+ 19 Mg2+ 4 Na+ 8 Cl- 48 SO42- 1 HCO3- 16
Is this a good profile?
Forgive me, for I have not lagered.
There is a pre-loaded water report for Pilsen, Czech. It was somewhat softer than yours... I'm using about a gram each of calcium chloride and calcium sulfate to match that profile.

My water to start with is not close to the Pilsen profile. I'll be adding a gram or two of chloride to my base water to bring out the maltiness .

I've brewed my fair share of dark lager I find it's more tricky than the light stuff. Sometimes I find they can come out a bit thin on body . But this recipe has plenty of flavour the Munich/caramel malt should provide plenty of malt body for the roast malts to play against.
Looking forward to this one that's for sure.

I havnt loaded the recipie into the water calc yet but I'm imagining the dark malts aren bringing the PH down plenty without having to add any acid?

I have a beer chugging away right now with Hornindal Kveik. It's a lager test for Kveik in cooler temps. The house is right around 65 (f) this time of year. Oddly enough, the beer is a dark adjunct lager (Shiny Happy Pivo ... sorta like shiner bock for turkey day). If I like what the Hornindal gives me I will probably use that slurry to ferment the community beer.

I’ll probably replace part of the Pilsner malt with Dextrine on this batch...only reason being I have a ton of Dextrine I’m trying to get used up and I’d like to stretch out my Pilsner malt just a bit before I try a new one.

There is a pre-loaded water report for Pilsen, Czech. It was somewhat softer than yours... I'm using about a gram each of calcium chloride and calcium sulfate to match that profile.
I am thinking hmmmm calcium sulfate, don't have any of that. So I checks the LHBS website, type in calcium sulfate.... oh, gypsum, ya, I gots that!
changes to 1 gram of each Calcium Chloride, Gypsum, Epsom
Ca2+ 18 Mg2+ 3 Na+ 8 Cl- 20 SO42- 33 HCO3- 16

That's about where I am, without the epson salt.

I am planning to brew this a week Friday Dec 4th. I was lamenting about tying up my fermenting fridge for a long period of time. But my garage will be a giant fridge soon. I can set my garage heater to keep it at lagering temperature for as long as I want!

I am planning to brew this a week Friday Dec 4th. I was lamenting about tying up my fermenting fridge for a long period of time. But my garage will be a giant fridge soon.

That is what I thinking to do as well.

Ordered ingredients today, should arrive this weekend!

Back