Community recipe?

Would Weyermann® Chocolate Wheat Malt, be the same as Midnight Wheat?
I don't know the Lovibond rating of either off the top of my head but they should be similar enough. I'm using Patagonia's Perla Negra for the wheat - I just like that malt for dark beers.

Should I use two packages of Saflager 34/70?

I don't know the Lovibond rating of either off the top of my head but they should be similar enough. I'm using Patagonia's Perla Negra for the wheat - I just like that malt for dark beers.
Weyermann Chocolate Wheat is listed as 338-451
Midnight Wheat is listed at 550

I put my brew order in yesterday - midnight wheat- I got along with some Voodoo malt Haha descriptions a mix of melanoidin munich crystal malt flavour interesting thatll be in substitute of C60.
I've got some craffa 2 I might sub in for some the black prince couldnt get any of that.
As you guys are doing itll be bittered with magnum and Czech Sazz for flavour.

Brew is slotted second in line after this weekend.

I'm imagining going a more malt forward water profile on this beer?

I can do this as a beer after next (next is a rye promised to my daughter). Not sure what to sub for C200, but I'll figure something out. I'll post results.

Ppl you suggest, Weyermann malts for just about everything else. I have some Patagonia Perla Negra - Chocolate Wheat - that I'll sub in. Looks about right otherwise. I actually have some intentionally undermodified Pilsner malt from Texas I could sub in and do a step-decoction mash schedule. I'm doing Magnum and Saaz for hops, a Czech Pilsner lager yeast. This is probably brew after next, maybe Thanksgiving weekend. I have a Grodziskie queued up this weekend.

Just a suggestion: You have enough Crystal/Caramel malt in there - the wheat is for head retention? If so, you won't need it for this grain bill.[/QUOTE]

The Midnight Wheat is in there because it is both very dark and very mild. I was shooting for a BLACK lager, that wasn’t over the top roasted bitter. I think the combination of dark malts in this one strikes a nice balance. Of course your mileage may vary.

Interesting that there is a Czech-Style Dark Lager recipe in the CB&B magazine that showed up in my mail yesterday!
I have never brewed a lager, ever, so looking for a bit of direction.

Should I use two packages of 34/70?

With RO water, I was thinking that I would add 2 grams of Calcium Chloride,and 1 gram of Epsom Salts. Does this make sense?

Should I ferment at 50F/10C for 14 days, increase to 60F/16C for 2-3 days, then cold crash?

I guess I could just keg it, crash it in the keg, then lager it for whatever number of weeks.

Interesting that there is a Czech-Style Dark Lager recipe in the CB&B magazine that showed up in my mail yesterday!
I have never brewed a lager, ever, so looking for a bit of direction.

Should I use two packages of 34/70?

With RO water, I was thinking that I would add 2 grams of Calcium Chloride,and 1 gram of Epsom Salts. Does this make sense?

Should I ferment at 50F/10C for 14 days, increase to 60F/16C for 2-3 days, then cold crash?

I guess I could just keg it, crash it in the keg, then lager it for whatever number of weeks.
With 34/70 i ferment a week at 50-55 and let it get up to mid 60s a week. With OG it will be finished.
I don’t know anything about adjusting water. I do not cold crash due to no where to do it at.

Ppl you suggest, Weyermann malts for just about everything else. I have some Patagonia Perla Negra - Chocolate Wheat - that I'll sub in. Looks about right otherwise. I actually have some intentionally undermodified Pilsner malt from Texas I could sub in and do a step-decoction mash schedule. I'm doing Magnum and Saaz for hops, a Czech Pilsner lager yeast. This is probably brew after next, maybe Thanksgiving weekend. I have a Grodziskie queued up this weekend.

Just a suggestion: You have enough Crystal/Caramel malt in there - the wheat is for head retention? If so, you won't need it for this grain bill.

The Midnight Wheat is in there because it is both very dark and very mild. I was shooting for a BLACK lager, that wasn’t over the top roasted bitter. I think the combination of dark malts in this one strikes a nice balance. Of course your mileage may vary.[/QUOTE]
I didn't mean the midnight wheat, he had some white wheat in his grain bill. That's what I recommended he lose, not the dark stuff.

I'm now confused. It doesn't take much Are we all brewing a Scottish export ale, or are we brewing a dark lager? Or are we all just wingin' it, and slingin' what we have in the kettle?

Yeah I don't brew with lager yeast "traditionally" more like as Hawkbox referenced with brulosophys "quick lager method".
Pretty much start fermentation at 10-12c for a day or two then let free rise a degree or two per day after that finishing at or around 18-20c.
Anyhow ...

Looks like weve got some great traction with this community recipe;).

I'm now confused. It doesn't take much Are we all brewing a Scottish export ale, or are we brewing a dark lager? Or are we all just wingin' it, and slingin' what we have in the kettle?
Bulins SHADY BOHEMIAN.

funny thing last community recipe was a stout this ones Dark Lager interesting:rolleyes:.

I think I will give this one a go as well. I'll have to place another order with NB, so it will likely be Thanksgiving weekend or the weekend after that.

Back