Powdered cheese

Paul DR

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am not new to full grain brewing but have not done anything for about 30 years. I was inspired initially by Dave Line. Recently I have purchased a Grainfather for the apparent ease of the process. I am now interested in creating unusual recipes and I have in mind a "sweet stout and Stilton" brew. I am wondering if anyone out there has tried anything similar? I intend using powdered blue cheese as an addition to the stout. I think I will need to add the powder after fermentation due to possible bacterial influences during the fermentation period. Is there anyone out there has tried anything this crazy? what results did you achieve and how did you go about it

Not I sir, sorry

No experience. Do you know what the mold in the cheese eats? If it's just a lactose eater then it should be largely a flavouring addition with very little risk.

Then it comes down to how few/many other bugs have come along for the ride. They're going to have been pretty hardy though, as the alcohol and hops will kill off most of them. To manage the risk of overcarbonation from something like a brett/wild yeast in the powder, I'd fill at least one PET bottle and keep that at room temperature. If that starts to swell then you'll have some time to work out what to do with the rest of the batch.

And to possibly be over cautious, you could make a slurry of the powder, pasteurise that, then add it to the beer. No idea what it'd do flavour wise though.

I have Dave Line's book as well, he was way ahead of his time and died far too young.

I'm trying to imagine cheese and beer, two of my favourite things, as a combo and can't get there. It does sound like an interesting project though; keep us updated with the results!

Love Stilton, but think I'd prefer eating it on a nice juicy burger with some pork belly and drinking a nice West Coast IPA.

I agree with Mark and would definitely pasteurize the powder first. Would love to hear your results.

Thanks everyone for your input and advice. Still plucking up the courage to start this project. With regards to Steve SPF - I reckon cheese and wine parties used to go down well !! I'm just trying to pull together the cheese and sweet stout flavours - I can just about imagine it. I may make a batch of sweet stout and then bottle with powdered cheese added (different quantities in different bottles (labelled of course)) If it all goes wrong I will still have some "straight" stout to enjoy

Back