Re-use mash profile

GF Brews

Premium Plus Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I've searched but haven't found anything on this. If there is not currently a way to do it, I'd like to see a way of creating different mash profiles (temps and durations) and then being able to select that profile in the recipe design rather than having to do this from scratch each time.

Thanks

Seconded, sounds cool. As of now the auto populate on mashing in the recipe builder defaults to 152ºF on my end, would be nice to have some low/high presets, step mashing presets, etc.

It's on the to-do list! Thanks for the request, I'll add this forum thread to the internal ticket and followup accordingly.

@Pricelessbrewing @Yooper -- Not sure if this got any traction?

I just saw an older post suggesting ability to create mash profiles, similar to equipment profiles. I think that could be an even better solution for this.

Thanks!

@GF Brews, not quite yet. We're working in this direction though!

In the forseeable future at the moment are major updates planned are 1) QWR, 2) Mash guidelines 3) Water Chemistry. We definitely want some sort of reusable mash profile or mash process format to be included in that update, we're still discussing how we want to implement, and what info we want to save and reuse.

What are your thoughts on it?

Do you want to be able to start a new recipe (or open an existing one) and quickly switch from say a full volume no sparge mash process to a single infusion batch sparge process? Then fill in the specific temperatures and volumes, or do you want to be able to switch to a profile that, for example, defaults to 152F mash step.

Do you want to be able to start a new recipe (or open an existing one) and quickly switch from say a full volume no sparge mash process to a single infusion batch sparge process? Then fill in the specific temperatures and volumes, or do you want to be able to switch to a profile that, for example, defaults to 152F mash step.

A little bit of both, the way I see it.

When building a recipe, and choosing the quick water requirements, if I already added a mash temp to adjust for OG and FG, and then click QWR, it adds 1 or 2 additional water slots in the mash guidelines, and they always default to 152. If I already had 157 set in there, it would be cool if QWR would recognize that 158 already being there and still show me the correct volumes and strike temperature for whatever I entered, and just adjust my 1 entry to the correct thing instead of coming up with 3 total entries. if any of that makes sense.

Also, entering different mash profiles at the top of the recipe builder or within the mash guidelines would be cool. For example I pretty much stick with 2 or 3 mash profiles. Low single temp single infusion, high temp single infusion, or decoction mash. Changing to Low Temp Sing Infs. I'd hope would default my QWR to say 148ºF mash temp, while the high temp would default up to 157 or so.

Decoction mashing would be nice to enter in the QWR also! But the calculator right now thinks that entering decoction volumes is contributing to the total water on the brew day. So if I start with 5 gallons of mash water, and then choose strike for that, and then I have 4.5 qt decoction, 6 qt decoction, and 5 qt decoction, now it thinks I've actually added another 3.875 gallons to the water on the brew day. If there was a way to make those decoction selections from the drop down menu not register as a contribution to the total water calculated by the recipe builder... Decoction mashing in the QWR could also just be its own new thing, don't know how complicated it is to build that, but, if when choosing decoction or step mash, it would bring up slots that you can add and subtract steps, and enter new temperatures for each step, and put their volumes that may or may not contribute to the total water volume used in the recipe.

A little bit of both, the way I see it.

When building a recipe, and choosing the quick water requirements, if I already added a mash temp to adjust for OG and FG, and then click QWR, it adds 1 or 2 additional water slots in the mash guidelines, and they always default to 152. If I already had 157 set in there, it would be cool if QWR would recognize that 158 already being there and still show me the correct volumes and strike temperature for whatever I entered, and just adjust my 1 entry to the correct thing instead of coming up with 3 total entries. if any of that makes sense.

Also, entering different mash profiles at the top of the recipe builder or within the mash guidelines would be cool. For example I pretty much stick with 2 or 3 mash profiles. Low single temp single infusion, high temp single infusion, or decoction mash. Changing to Low Temp Sing Infs. I'd hope would default my QWR to say 148ºF mash temp, while the high temp would default up to 157 or so.

Decoction mashing would be nice to enter in the QWR also! But the calculator right now thinks that entering decoction volumes is contributing to the total water on the brew day. So if I start with 5 gallons of mash water, and then choose strike for that, and then I have 4.5 qt decoction, 6 qt decoction, and 5 qt decoction, now it thinks I've actually added another 3.875 gallons to the water on the brew day. If there was a way to make those decoction selections from the drop down menu not register as a contribution to the total water calculated by the recipe builder... Decoction mashing in the QWR could also just be its own new thing, don't know how complicated it is to build that, but, if when choosing decoction or step mash, it would bring up slots that you can add and subtract steps, and enter new temperatures for each step, and put their volumes that may or may not contribute to the total water volume used in the recipe.
Thanks for the details, I'm adding this forum thread to the ticket whenever we get to scheduling mash profile or decoction updates.

Back