confused about 2 step sparge,advice please.

Rudibrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
hi im busy with a belgian blonde recipe,but the 2 step barge has me confused.
do i tap my wort first,and then begin the 2 step barge?

these are the directions:
4.2kg Pilsen Malt
0.25kg Pale Ale Malt
15g Saaz (50 Min)
8g Mittelfruh Hops (5 Min)
1 x T-58 yeast sachet.

Mash

Add 11 litres of water at 76°C to the mash tun and allow to cool to 71°C.
Add all grains.
Temp should drop to 63°C (Add cool/hot water to reach this temp).
Steep for 60 min. Temp should remain constant.

Raise mash temp to 67°C by applying heat or adding roughly 2 liters of boiling water to the mash tun. Rest at 67°C for 15 min.

Sparge

(2-Step Batch Sparge)
Step 1: Add 6.5 litres of water to the mash tun at 78°C. Tap off wort into Boil Pot until water level is just above the surface of grain bed.
Step 2: Add another 6.5 litres of water to the mash tun at 76°C. Tap off wort into Boil Pot.

Boil (75 min):

Boil Size: 20.5 litres.
Add 15g Saaz at 50 min. Add a pinch of coriander here too.
Add 8g Mittelfruh Hops at 5 min.

Ferment

Cool wort to 26°C, pour/siphon into fermentor, aerate well and pitch yeast. Estimated Original Gravity (OG) is 1.065 SG. Ferment between 25-28 degrees. Allow to ferment for a week or two or until Specific Gravity (SG) readings are identical over a 24-hour period. Estimated Final Gravity (FG) is 1.010
Allow the dyacetil to rest for 24 hours at the end of fermentation prior to yeast removal.
Lagering: 2 days at 12 oC and 2 weeks at 0-1 oC. Once fermentation is done, tap off and bottle/keg.

505023cc6e305bec606b48ba575b5421

About Anthony Cawood
View all posts by Anthony Cawood →
← What Constitutes a Christmas Beer in the Southern Hemisphere?
Molotov – American Amber Ale →
Recent Recipes

this is for a 15liter batch

Juat add 13 liters once and be done with it, maybe sacrificing a point or two of efficiency. There's no reason for that process at our scale.

If this is a kit that you purchased that came with the boil kettle etc., it may be a volume issue. There may not be room to add all of the sparge water in one go. If you have the room, just do one sparge, there really isn't any advantage to the extra step.

hi im busy with a belgian blonde recipe,but the 2 step barge has me confused.
do i tap my wort first,and then begin the 2 step barge?

these are the directions:
4.2kg Pilsen Malt
0.25kg Pale Ale Malt
15g Saaz (50 Min)
8g Mittelfruh Hops (5 Min)
1 x T-58 yeast sachet.

Mash

Add 11 litres of water at 76°C to the mash tun and allow to cool to 71°C.
Add all grains.
Temp should drop to 63°C (Add cool/hot water to reach this temp).
Steep for 60 min. Temp should remain constant.

Raise mash temp to 67°C by applying heat or adding roughly 2 liters of boiling water to the mash tun. Rest at 67°C for 15 min.

Sparge

(2-Step Batch Sparge)
Step 1: Add 6.5 litres of water to the mash tun at 78°C. Tap off wort into Boil Pot until water level is just above the surface of grain bed.
Step 2: Add another 6.5 litres of water to the mash tun at 76°C. Tap off wort into Boil Pot.

Boil (75 min):

Boil Size: 20.5 litres.
Add 15g Saaz at 50 min. Add a pinch of coriander here too.
Add 8g Mittelfruh Hops at 5 min.

Ferment

Cool wort to 26°C, pour/siphon into fermentor, aerate well and pitch yeast. Estimated Original Gravity (OG) is 1.065 SG. Ferment between 25-28 degrees. Allow to ferment for a week or two or until Specific Gravity (SG) readings are identical over a 24-hour period. Estimated Final Gravity (FG) is 1.010
Allow the dyacetil to rest for 24 hours at the end of fermentation prior to yeast removal.
Lagering: 2 days at 12 oC and 2 weeks at 0-1 oC. Once fermentation is done, tap off and bottle/keg.

505023cc6e305bec606b48ba575b5421

About Anthony Cawood
View all posts by Anthony Cawood →
← What Constitutes a Christmas Beer in the Southern Hemisphere?
Molotov – American Amber Ale →
Recent Recipes
Yes. Drain your mash "first runnings" and then sparge at once. You can pull a quart or so at the beginning and add it back to the mash just to clear your runnings a bit, verlouf.

Back