Christmas Ale

Josh Hughes

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
It’s time for me to get started on a Christmas Ale. I do not typically like spices and stuff so I’m thinking a Wee Heavy or strong ale of some sort. Dark and malty. Nothing fancy ingredient wise. This may or may not fit a style of a Christmas ale but oh well :)
Maris Otter 88%
Caramel 60 10%
Roasted or chocolate 2% (which is better)?

Hops I have Challenger, EKG, and Target I also have other not British hops; Magnum, Hallertau, and Northern brewer. I figured around 25-30 IBU which may be a touch for the style but should be too far off.

I’ll use S-04 fermented in the low to mid 60s.

It’s time for me to get started on a Christmas Ale. I do not typically like spices and stuff so I’m thinking a Wee Heavy or strong ale of some sort. Dark and malty. Nothing fancy ingredient wise. This may or may not fit a style of a Christmas ale but oh well :)
Maris Otter 88%
Caramel 60 10%
Roasted or chocolate 2% (which is better)?

Hops I have Challenger, EKG, and Target I also have other not British hops; Magnum, Hallertau, and Northern brewer. I figured around 25-30 IBU which may be a touch for the style but should be too far off.

I’ll use S-04 fermented in the low to mid 60s.
Have you ever had an Old Ale? Your ingredient list would lend itself to that style. I make this as a Christmas beer fairly often. Just made one on Friday. A key ingredient that many people swear by is Lyle's Black Treacle. However, I have used both molasses and unrefined cane syrup in this style with excellent results.

Have you ever had an Old Ale? Your ingredient list would lend itself to that style. I make this as a Christmas beer fairly often. Just made one on Friday. A key ingredient that many people swear by is Lyle's Black Treacle. However, I have used both molasses and unrefined cane syrup in this style with excellent results.
I have not had an old ale.

I was thinking something very similar, a british strong ale reminiscent of Full Sail's Wassail winter warmer
upload_2020-10-26_10-35-31.png

Are you referring to the commercial "olde speckled hen", or an "Abbott's Ale?

Dark and malty. Nothing fancy ingredient wise.

An Oatmeal Stout is nice on a cold winter night, I believe @Yooper has a great recipe for this style.
It would get a decent amount of flaked oats which will soften the mouth feel, and maybe reduce priming sugar so as to add to that mouthfeel with a bit less carbonation.

I have a Christmas Ale that I make, that gets a subtle amount of ginger and cinnamon.
It is a great beer, and is likely a really good ale without these additions, IBU's are lower than your goal though.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/718882/o-tannenbaum-christmas-ale

Old ales can be wonderful, but a lot end up as a sweet flabby mess to my palate. I think I need something interesting in the beer to enjoy it. Spices, barrel flavours, etc. There's one with vanilla and the barest hint of chilli that's wonderful which should be reappearing soon.

I have the same thoughts on the big Scottish ales as well, so it might just be a 'me' problem.

An Oatmeal Stout is nice on a cold winter night, I believe @Yooper has a great recipe for this style.
It would get a decent amount of flaked oats which will soften the mouth feel, and maybe reduce priming sugar so as to add to that mouthfeel with a bit less carbonation.

I have a Christmas Ale that I make, that gets a subtle amount of ginger and cinnamon.
It is a great beer, and is likely a really good ale without these additions, IBU's are lower than your goal though.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/718882/o-tannenbaum-christmas-ale
That’s looks good @Craigerrr but I do not have any Special Roast. What is a sub for that? I’m not married to the IBUs. I also though about adding some oats or flaked barely with what I had.

Old ales can be wonderful, but a lot end up as a sweet flabby mess to m

Agreed. Just as IPA's can become undrinkable due to being out of balance with excessive hops, old ales can be too heavy and sweet. I rely (maybe over-rely!) on the BU/GU ratio to try and hit the balance of each style. This seems to keep the beers within style.

That’s looks good @Craigerrr but I do not have any Special Roast. What is a sub for that? I’m not married to the IBUs. I also though about adding some oats or flaked barely with what I had.
Hmmm, good question, maybe brown malt, or some biscuit, or a bit of each?
At 2% of the bill, I don't think it brings all that much to the beer. It isn't my recipe, I poached from I forget where now.

Hmmm, good question, maybe brown malt, or some biscuit, or a bit of each?
At 2% of the bill, I don't think it brings all that much to the beer. It isn't my recipe, I poached from I forget where now.
I do have both so that is doable. It is pretty fun to talk through and get ideas on recipes. I probably won’t brew until Saturday at the earliest.

What about this? Still wondering if chocolate or roasted is better for this. I have english roasted as well it is much darker than the Briess I have listed. I also have brown malt and victory if that helps. Trying for around 8-9% abv
50EEB114-8DE2-4C59-9B3A-AE77B34C1F7C.png

What about this? Still wondering if chocolate or roasted is better for this. I have english roasted as well it is much darker than the Briess I have listed. I also have brown malt and victory if that helps. Trying for around 8-9% abv
View attachment 12615
I would defer to others more experienced than myself on this, and to also comment on my suggestion. We know one thing for sure, either way it will be beer, but what the different flavor contributions of these different malts will bring, I am not experienced enough to say with absolute certainty.

View attachment 12615

At bigger amounts I have noticed more dry coffee from Roasted Barley and more ash/roast from Chocolate.

But at 1oz and 1.8% I don't think you will notice any difference. YMMV.

Here are my final thoughts. Still may switch roasted for chocolate or go 1/2 each.the brown malt should give me some of the coffee flavor I like. Also for hops I have EKG, hallertau, magnum, and target. Would any of those be better?

7DFE1930-ADB2-4125-81A0-048553283F51.png

Last edited:
No, these really fit more into the pale ale or ESB categories. I've not seen a lot of commercial versions of this. Here's the link to the BJCP style guideline:

https://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style19.php

It's somewhat in the category of a winter warmer.
I have had a few of the commercial examples, but it has been too long for me to recall them.
Fuller’s Vintage Ale
Young's Winter Warmer
Founders Curmudgeon
Hopefully we get some examples at our State run Craft Beer outlet this winter, I could use some inspiration for something different for the coming cold nights!

Back