I brewed today!

There she be lite and fizzy double batch a tad low on volume but way up on gravity and oh what a cold break I got on this baby
20201017_192315.jpg

Porter.

Exact numbers as the last time I made this about 2 months ago. 1.062 OG. Last time I used Windsor, and while the beer was delicious, as is its MO the yeast only attenuated 60%...to 1.025. This time I’m using WY1450 which should get me closer to 70%. I’m looking for a FG of 1.019. We shall see.

1DB83B74-DCA9-4909-A5B7-AE907807CB12.jpeg

Porter.

Exact numbers as the last time I made this about 2 months ago. 1.062 OG. Last time I used Windsor, and while the beer was delicious, as is its MO the yeast only attenuated 60%...to 1.025. This time I’m using WY1450 which should get me closer to 70%. I’m looking for a FG of 1.019. We shall see.

View attachment 12454
Love Dennys Fav 1450. It's a great yeast and I haven't used it in ages. Might have to change that!

Love Dennys Fav 1450. It's a great yeast and I haven't used it in ages. Might have to change that!
Lots of great yeasts out there, but 1450 and BRY-97 are my 2 favorite. MoreBeer came up spades for me, getting 2 packs of 1450 delivered in a day and half. It sure does help living just across the state though.

Munich Dunkel style lager. Hope it's ready by Thanksgiving, go yeasties go!

Attachments

• 20201022_082303.jpg
    20201022_082303.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20201022_094409.jpg
    20201022_094409.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 20201022_095002.jpg
    20201022_095002.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 20201021_162511.jpg
    20201021_162511.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 45
Welp, that was an interesting brew day. Beer was supposed to be a hoppy american wheat with 45% pilsner, 45%wheat, 8% C20, and 2% victory. Attached is the wort post boil. I think the LHBS gave me something much darker than C20 (still trying to figure out what they gave me, so far they insist it's c20 :/)

But it'll be beer! Lol
20201025_111903.jpg

Welp, that was an interesting brew day. Beer was supposed to be a hoppy american wheat with 45% pilsner, 45%wheat, 8% C20, and 2% victory. Attached is the wort post boil. I think the LHBS gave me something much darker than C20 (still trying to figure out what they gave me, so far they insist it's c20 :/)

But it'll be beer! Lol
View attachment 12570

let it settle and floc out....

Getting ready for winter here on a dreary rainy day here in south central PA by brewing J A's stout using some Kveik slurry....I think I finally had a fast enough cold break to make today an easy brew day! Woot Woot Now just let's see how brewing with slurry works!

But it'll be beer! Lol
View attachment 12570
Ha ha that ain't wheat beer!

Getting ready for winter here on a dreary rainy day here in south central PA by brewing J A's stout using some Kveik slurry....I think I finally had a fast enough cold break to make today an easy brew day! Woot Woot Now just let's see how brewing with slurry works!
How much you pitch?:rolleyes:
Have some faith my man have some faith;)

Ha ha that ain't wheat beer!
Haha I know! I've been googling amber wheat beers trying to find something similar. Seems like Uinta Brewing has made a few amber wheats, but they don't have one currently, unfortunately

Haha I know! I've been googling amber wheat beers trying to find something similar. Seems like Uinta Brewing has made a few amber wheats, but they don't have one currently, unfortunately
What's it called dunklewiezen?
Hey I bet itll be a cracker maybe a little sweet but hope the yeast really rip in for you and drop that final gravity.
Usually for a wheat beer I'd just stick with pilsner/wheat if you want a tad of sweetness maybe Munich or like you did light crystal but it's a yeast flavoured beer so don't get in the road of this.

What's it called dunklewiezen?
Hey I bet itll be a cracker maybe a little sweet but hope the yeast really rip in for you and drop that final gravity.
Usually for a wheat beer I'd just stick with pilsner/wheat if you want a tad of sweetness maybe Munich or like you did light crystal but it's a yeast flavoured beer so don't get in the road of this.
I'm excited to see what happens with it :) I've been told that to be a dunkelweizen there has to be German weizen yeast. If it's an American wheat, then a cleaner yeast can be used. And I think some amber wheats are out there, kinda like a weizenbock, but without the higher abv. Correct me if I'm wrong, beer gurus!

I'm excited to see what happens with it :) I've been told that to be a dunkelweizen there has to be German weizen yeast. If it's an American wheat, then a cleaner yeast can be used. And I think some amber wheats are out there, kinda like a weizenbock, but without the higher abv. Correct me if I'm wrong, beer gurus!
There's a bit of just about everything out there. No reason not to do an amber Weizen, Schneider Weisse is more amber than "weiss." No reason either that you can't do an American Dark Wheat, I wouldn't call it an American Dunkelweizen. Tradition is there to guide but not to dictate. If you're brewing commercially, you have a good reason to be conservative. We don't.

CIP is in process, cleaning up after brewing my Thanksgiving ale, a Belgian-inspired ale with cranberry and orange. 3 gallons, it's not a beer I want lots of around but it sure goes down nicely with a traditional turkey dinner.

Back