Oktoberfest/Marzen planned brew

Hamner Brewhouse

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on altering ratios or probably be alright?

46% Vienna
41% Light Munich
8.5% Dark Munich
4.5% Carmel 60
1 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 minutes
1 oz Saaz @ 20 minutes
2 packs 34/70

5 gal batch. Predictions are coming in at: 1.056 SG, 1.010 FG, & IBU 31.7

Attachments

• 20201020_091506_capture.jpg
    20201020_091506_capture.jpg
    832.5 KB · Views: 108
You may be a touch high on IBU and BU/GU ratio if you’re trying to match the classical style. I would be inclined to drop the IBU down to maybe 26-28. This would give you a bit more malt-forward flavor.

But it’s a matter of taste preference. The recipe as written should give you a pretty tasty beer.

I personally would use no crystal but if I did, I would go with a bit of caramunich at a lower percentage. As Bubba said, other than being a little on the bitter side it should make a tasty brew.

Thank you for the feedback. I will play around with the numbers. Shouldn't take much to lower IBUs. I was putting the C60 in for color and thinking the 1/2 lb wouldn't add much flavor. Oddly enough I forgot to pick up C60 while I was at Northern Brewer. As it's listed the color is 11 SRM. I have a few ounces of Chocolate, English Roasted, & Black that I could use to give it some color.

Substituting 1 oz English Roasted Barley & using only 3/4 oz Northern Brewer gets me to the 11 SRM & 26 IBUs.

You can skip the dark roast and will will be good, you don’t want roasty. As written I looks tasty, caramunich would be better for the style. You can go all Munich and Vienna and be a good Märzen. Dark Munich is great

46% Vienna
41% Light Munich
8.5% Dark Munich
4.5% Carmel 60
1 oz Saaz @ 20 minutes
2 packs 34/70

I highly doubt itll finish that low try 1.014 maybe I hope I'm wrong;).

Thank you for the feedback. I will play around with the numbers. Shouldn't take much to lower IBUs. I was putting the C60 in for color and thinking the 1/2 lb wouldn't add much flavor. Oddly enough I forgot to pick up C60 while I was at Northern Brewer. As it's listed the color is 11 SRM. I have a few ounces of Chocolate, English Roasted, & Black that I could use to give it some color.

Substituting 1 oz English Roasted Barley & using only 3/4 oz Northern Brewer gets me to the 11 SRM & 26 IBUs.

Good call. 1 oz of RB won't come through in flavor and should give you some of your color back.

46% Vienna
41% Light Munich
8.5% Dark Munich
4.5% Carmel 60
1 oz Saaz @ 20 minutes
2 packs 34/70

The recipe looks great! - I'm with the others on the c60 though - I'm glad you forgot it:)
The RB will work in that low quantity - boiling longer would darken it up too. :)

Good luck and Keep us posted on the results!

During the 1st week of fermentation temps didn't get below 61 F. The highest it reached was 64.4 F. Airlock activity seems nonexistent now & temp @ 59 F. I plan to let it ride a full three weeks before lagering.

What is the average time you all lager your lagers? I'm leaning toward 2 months, which will put me into mid January.

During the 1st week of fermentation temps didn't get below 61 F. The highest it reached was 64.4 F. Airlock activity seems nonexistent now & temp @ 59 F. I plan to let it ride a full three weeks before lagering.

What is the average time you all lager your lagers? I'm leaning toward 2 months, which will put me into mid January.
I lager my Maerzen about five months. Likely not necessary but I do. Aside from that, a month of lagering is more than enough for table-strength beers. Stronger ones need longer - up to three months. Rule of thumb: When it's clear and tastes good, it's done. That's one reason I generally lager in a keg under pressure.

Back