Russian Impertial Stout recipe feedback

BeardedViking

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello brewers!
Im planning on brewing a RIS and want some feedback on the grains in the recipe.

What i have come up with so far is:

3kg Pale Ale
0.7kg Flaked Oats
0.2kg Carafa Special 1
0.3kg Chocolate Malt
0.3kg Roasted Barley
0.1kg Lactose
0.1kg Dextrose (ABV bump)

14l strike water and i plan on mashing for 90min ( to have time for several stirs) in 66c.Sparging until i get to 16l (Kettle is 17l).Furhtermore im gonna boil it for 90min to hit the OG i want (1.093).Im gonna ferment varm (37-38c) with VOSS.

Any feedback is highly appreciated

Should have plenty of roasty character. I've never used Carafa Special 1, so can't speak to that.

If you are going for an oatmeal stout, keep the flaked oats. Otherwise, I would go with flaked barley to stay in style of RIS.

Speaking of keeping in style, why lactose? Not that it would be bad, just wouldn't be to style. If you keep it, be sure to consider the change in OG and FG. That caused me some headaches a few weeks back.

Lastly, what kind of hops are you using?

Should have plenty of roasty character. I've never used Carafa Special 1, so can't speak to that.

If you are going for an oatmeal stout, keep the flaked oats. Otherwise, I would go with flaked barley to stay in style of RIS.

Speaking of keeping in style, why lactose? Not that it would be bad, just wouldn't be to style. If you keep it, be sure to consider the change in OG and FG. That caused me some headaches a few weeks back.

Lastly, what kind of hops are you using?

Hi and thx for replying.
Carafa Special 1 gives alot of roasty,chocolate flavours that i have tried before and liked it.
I have flaked oats because i like how that gives me a good mouthfeel,but i might skip that and get some flaked barley.
And the lactose i got because i wanted to raise the FG and get some sweetness.But i think i might get enough sweetness anyways so...
The hops i forgot totally,i plan on 30g Chinook for 60mins which should get me to 84 IBU.

I think i just might skip the flaked oats (and replace with Pale Ale) and lactose.

Thx

Forgot to ask what batch size are you going for?

If you have a recipe in brewersfriend, just make it public and share the recipe via a link in this thread so others can view it.

For the sweetness/mouthfeel/ABV idea you could just drop both sugars, they're sort of cancelling each other out. Maybe use some light DME for the ABV bump instead. Grains look good.

I tweaked this and just finished brewing this.Thx for the feedback.The recipe turned out like this:

3.7kg Pale Ale
0.3kg Chocolate Malt
0.3kg Roasted Barley
0.2kg Carafa Special 1
0.1kg Cara Munich 1

Mashed at 66C for 90min

Boiled 75min

OG: 1.095

20g Chinook@60
30g Chinook@7

Pitched Kveik@37C

Was black as i have never seen before.Cant wait to try this out.I think i put this on the shelf for at least 3months

/Cheers

Weirdest thing ever happend to me with this brew.I have done constant readings on this and it never went below 1.042 in gravity for 4 days.Ah well i thought that all the roasted grains made it get that high in FG.
Anyways,i bottled it today and it tasted great but obviously need some age.

The incredible thing i discovered during cleaning of the FV was that i found a Bee(!) in the tap on the Coopers Craft FV!I cant for my life understand how it got in there but it must have been during the boil.

The question i have is if u think this Bee can make my gravity to get this high?

Thx for any input

Last edited:

Back