First Brew more Bitter than expected

SimonWHill

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Ive just completed my first Brew, its just gone in the keg to carbonate. but i think i made a few errors, first off i think i miss understood the mash process
( THE MASH Temperature °C: 65, Length (mins): 60, Out temp °C: 75, Out time (mins): 10 ),

I mashed at 75c when i should have mashed at 65c, my starting specific gravity was 1054 when it should have been 1072, it should have been 1014 when done but it was 1012.

Fermentation seemed to stall in day 3, so i raised the fermentation temp to 21c from 20c and it stalled again the day after so i raised it again to 22c.

I'm not sure what info you might need but ill put the recipe below. i tasted the wort and the post fermentation liquid and both tasted more bitter than a NEIPA should (in my opinion).

all and any help advice would be greatly appreciated

This is the kit i used,

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/ne-ipa-jon-finch-recipe/

This is the recipe

Description
This recipe is based on the recipe from Beer Craft by Jon Finch. Due to the rarity of being able to buy Galaxy this hop has been replaced with Cashmere.
A hazy juicy IPA, with late hop additions.

Ingredients
Crisp Pale Ale Malt (5000 grams)
Crisp Crystal Malt (300 grams)
Crisp Pale Wheat Malt (300 grams)
Flaked Oats Including Husk (300 grams)
Citra Pellets (110 grams)
Cashmere Pellets (100 grams)
Mosaic Pellets (80 grams)
NBS Ale Yeast 12g (1 packs)

Method
Beer Style (main): American Ales
Beer Style (sub): Juicy or Hazy India Pale Ale
Batch Size: 19ltr
Original Gravity: 1.072
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV %: 7.4%
IBU: 30

THE MASH
Temperature °C: 65
Length (mins): 60
Out temp °C: 75
Out time (mins): 10

THE BOIL
Boil time (mins): 60

Additions and timing:

30g Citra – Boil 10 min
30g Cashmere – Boil 10 min
40g Citra – Flame Out
40g Cashmere – Flame Out
40g Mosaic – Flame Out

Secondary additions and timing:

40g Citra – Dry hop for 7 days
30g Cashmere – Dry hop for 7 days
40g Mosaic – Dry hop for 7 days

Yeast: NBS Classic English Ale Yeast
Fermentation temperature/steps: 20c

Thanks

Simon

You will get better answers than mine for sure but, for starters:

Mashing at 75 would likely explain missing OG, can't see why it would add anything to the bitterness.

Assuming your raising the temp from 21 to 20 is a typo and you went 20 - 21 - 22 that shouldn't cause it either.

Did you follow the hop schedule accurately? There's not much there that would suggest bitterness to me.

One thing I would say is that water seems to have a big impact on NEIPA styles so that may well be a factor. NEIPAs seem to be a tricky style to get right. My process personally is a bit 'fluid' ( I forget stuff :) ) and NEIPA seems to demand consistent and accurate processes that are pretty delicate and unforgiving.

My two cents.

Hi,

Ive just completed my first Brew, its just gone in the keg to carbonate. but i think i made a few errors, first off i think i miss understood the mash process
( THE MASH Temperature °C: 65, Length (mins): 60, Out temp °C: 75, Out time (mins): 10 ),

I mashed at 75c when i should have mashed at 65c, my starting specific gravity was 1054 when it should have been 1072, it should have been 1014 when done but it was 1012.

Fermentation seemed to stall in day 3, so i raised the fermentation temp to 21c from 20c and it stalled again the day after so i raised it again to 22c.

I'm not sure what info you might need but ill put the recipe below. i tasted the wort and the post fermentation liquid and both tasted more bitter than a NEIPA should (in my opinion).

all and any help advice would be greatly appreciated

This is the kit i used,

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/ne-ipa-jon-finch-recipe/

This is the recipe

Description
This recipe is based on the recipe from Beer Craft by Jon Finch. Due to the rarity of being able to buy Galaxy this hop has been replaced with Cashmere.
A hazy juicy IPA, with late hop additions.

Ingredients
Crisp Pale Ale Malt (5000 grams)
Crisp Crystal Malt (300 grams)
Crisp Pale Wheat Malt (300 grams)
Flaked Oats Including Husk (300 grams)
Citra Pellets (110 grams)
Cashmere Pellets (100 grams)
Mosaic Pellets (80 grams)
NBS Ale Yeast 12g (1 packs)

Method
Beer Style (main): American Ales
Beer Style (sub): Juicy or Hazy India Pale Ale
Batch Size: 19ltr
Original Gravity: 1.072
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV %: 7.4%
IBU: 30

THE MASH
Temperature °C: 65
Length (mins): 60
Out temp °C: 75
Out time (mins): 10

THE BOIL
Boil time (mins): 60

Additions and timing:

30g Citra – Boil 10 min
30g Cashmere – Boil 10 min
40g Citra – Flame Out
40g Cashmere – Flame Out
40g Mosaic – Flame Out

Secondary additions and timing:

40g Citra – Dry hop for 7 days
30g Cashmere – Dry hop for 7 days
40g Mosaic – Dry hop for 7 days

Yeast: NBS Classic English Ale Yeast
Fermentation temperature/steps: 20c

Thanks

Simon
Question: you're adding the 10 minute additions with 10 minutes remaining in the boil not 10 minutes into the boil right? That would actually make a huge difference in bitterness. From what I've heard too a lot of people think Citra in particular are pretty harsh when used really in the boil. I haven't used them to date but planning on doing a SMaSH with them soon. Other than that IDK but like the other Steve said you'll probably get better answers than mine

Have you checked your water's bicarbonate levels? My water is high in bicarbonates (>150 ppm) and all my brews were too bitter until I changed to RO water (filtered to 0-ish residual solids). Water chemistry is daunting, I know, but it's essential for all grain brewing, unfortunately. Now I only use my tap water for amber-dark beers and I add acid malt to lower the predicted mash pH.

If you're on city water, you can usually look up/call the city's office for the water quality info. If you're on well water, you'll need to send a sample to get tested for the specific minerals. If you want a very basic idea of what your water looks like, try some test strips either for aquarium water or testing pool water. That will give you the pH, general hardness, and temporary hardness, and give you a better idea of what your mash pH is doing. Good luck!

Just another thought...it might be helpful to repeat a brew several times to get your system and numbers dialed in. Maybe something around 1.050-1.055 OG with a few grains and hop additions. Simpler is better in the beginning, which I learned the hard way (remind me to tell you about my lemon balm beer sometime....blegh). And repeating the same recipe is the best way to learn what you're doing and how your equipment/process works. But I also remember being given this exact advice from brewers who knew way more than I did, and I just did whatever I wanted and brewed a different recipe every time lol whatever makes you happy, honestly! You're the one drinking the beer :) Cheers!!

One thing to note on the bitter taste: BU/GU ratio is almost as important as IBU. So if you have a lower gravity than expected but the same IBU, you’re likely to have a higher perceived bitterness.

I’ve had Double IPA’s at 80 IBU that tasted less bitter than a straight IPA at 60 IBU. Since the double had a higher gravity, it balanced out the bitterness.

Wow thanks for all the feedback and advice,

I started with RO water (23 litres) PH of the water was 6.84, the PH of the Mash was 5.4, yes a added the first lot of hops with 10 mins left of the boil.

Ill do this one again and see if I have better results.

Thanks

Simon

Uncarbonated beer from the fermenter will always have more bitterness than the final beer. The higher mash temperature could have added some astringency, which can amplify bitterness a little, and the warming of the fermentation is actually a good practice (but best done when within maybe 0.005-0.010 of FG). Did you also let the beer rest in the fermenter for a few days after it was 'done'? That allows the yeasts to clean up some off flavors they created while making ethanol.

As already mentioned, a high sulfate to chloride ratio in your water can make it bitter.

But the bottom line is, let the beer carbonate, let it rest a couple days, get it cold and THEN taste it. Let us know please!

Last edited:
I have only been brewing for roughly 40+ batches, but I have developed a good feel for what the uncarbonated beer will become once carbonated. Experience will be your teacher!

Heh. Well, I stand firmly by my status as "Newbie".

Sounds like a plan. This site has been a great help to me as well.

I've found the big thing here is we seem to be less dogmatic about stuff. Here's the recommended path, but try what you want and see if it works.

Yes, i agree i use this in my work too, just give it a bash and see what happens, to answer @Donoroto question, no i did not, but that's another tip ill take, I let it sit for maybe 2 days. the other thing I would like to know is i put the hops into a hop basket (stainless steel mesh) during the boil. however they seem to clog up the mesh and little if any wort flow through the mesh. should i ditch them? chose another way to get hops into the boil?

Thanks

Simon

Looks like you took all the precautions to get your water right for this brew. Honestly I would of whirlpooled below 80c and Dry hopped and done none in the boil.

But your bitterness should a been right down as Bubba said your low Starting gravity would if affected your perceived bitterness and hops isomerisation is better the lower the gravity so more bitterness would of developed in the mear 10mins + cool down of contact.

As advised looks like a drink and repeat process in the end:rolleyes:.

I just fitted a new tap too the keg (never used one before) and the when i opened the tap beer fired out with a massive head and lots of foam.

the keg is in a fridge at 5c with 14psi being fed into it, its been chilling and carbonating like that for a week.

is that to be expected ? i only poured 1/4 pint off, just to see how it is.

i was plesently suprised when I tasted it, the bitterness has massivly reduced, there is not as much flaour as I imagined but its really drink able

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Regards

Simon

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-10-05 at 15.44.19.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-05 at 15.44.19.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 143
I just fitted a new tap too the keg (never used one before) and the when i opened the tap beer fired out with a massive head and lots of foam.

the keg is in a fridge at 5c with 14psi being fed into it, its been chilling and carbonating like that for a week.

is that to be expected ? i only poured 1/4 pint off, just to see how it is.

i was plesently suprised when I tasted it, the bitterness has massivly reduced, there is not as much flaour as I imagined but its really drink able

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Regards

Simon
What diameter is your serving hose, and how long is it? Also, as Ben says, 14PSI is a bit high for serving. For example, I use 3/16" diameter hose/tubing, 10 feet long, with 10PSI serving pressure This is physics, you don't want 10PSI at the tap, the small tubing, with the long length causes a pressure drip. The other potential factor is the temperature,if the hose and tap are warm, the will warm the beer. Warmer beer has less ability to keep Co2 in solution, therefore it comes out as foam.

Another question for you, what temperature did you carbonate the beer at?

Back