Brown Ale

For the most part, I like it a lot. My biggest hang-up is using Fuggles early to bitter. It really is more of a finishing hop and seems like a waste to use strictly for IBU's. Adding it at 45 minutes, I don't think you will get much, if any, of it's British earthiness coming through. I would either bitter entirely with something else, like Magnum or Nugget for example, or just make it a Cluster only beer. No better way to find out what a hop brings to the table then using it exclusively.

On a more nit-picky note, why both C-malts? Can you really notice a difference as opposed to just using one?

I was using Fuggles just because I had some left over. But I actually really like that idea of all Cluster.

On the nitpickyness, haha nitpick away!! Im still learning the ropes and no I probably couldn't tell the difference. I will maybe just double the 40L?

I upped the chocolate slightly, 3% too much?
Very subjective, but I don’t think so. Its really dependent on your taste for roast.
I think the same question applies to the 10% Crystal. Is it too much? For some, yes. For others, no. But it’s your beer, so tailor it to your tastes.

I think what you have will make a great beer.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Good luck with it, I have never done a brown, so no advice from me on this one buddy

So realized today halfway through the mash that the new thermometer I recently purchased is out by almost 10 degrees.

my one thermometer was reading 151F, decided to double check with out my old thermometer which read 158F, so I went found an old digital thermostat we had cleaned it up and sanitized and it read 161F (can only read top inch or so of mash)

other than me needing to sort out a better, reliable Brewing thermometer, what is going to happen to this recipe with a mash temp edging on 160F?

I would actually have preferred that recipe at 158F, but I’m not like everybody else. Mashes at the high end of the range went out of style with brown ales but that doesn’t make them worse.

Awesome thanks for the quick response! Forging ahead!

Higher mash temp = maybe lower attenuation more body from increased dextrins in the high end of the mash.
For a brown ale I rekon you've done good just the way I like em on the sweeter side:)

D4146B5A-A42E-4282-90E9-8AF79D66541B.jpeg

Can you cool that a few more degrees? With that small volume it should be pretty easy.

It was 22c when I poured into fermenter, 22.2c where I have it placed. I don’t think the temp strip on the vessel is accurate, or has ever been accurate.

If you are not into apricot in your brown ale you might want to look into how US-05 behaves over 24C/75F. You might not taste it. But I’d expect that temp to rise and you are much better off starting low (like the strip shows 19/20C) and then bump it up a degree once or twice. This has been something that I’ve experienced with US-05 and also that I’ve helped correct for others. You’ll be fine at those temps but you might be happier starting a lot lower.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for that tip, I will look into that as I do like using the US-05.
Thanks!

Ok thanks for that tip, I will look into that as I do like using the US-05.
Thanks!
Be sure to let us know how this turns out! I like a brown ale mashed on the higher end! :)

Inspired by your post, and the emerging fall colors, I brewed a brown ale today along with you. Mashed at 158F for all the body and flavor we want in an autumn brown ale. Let us know how your batch tastes when it’s ready.

Back