Jumble pale

greggreg66

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi.

Feeling anxious about posting a recipe out there, but I'd love a little feedback please! What I'm after: a strong-ish hoppy pale ale for home. I've called it "Jumble Pale" as a play on jumble sale, as I have a random mix of hops in the freezer ha!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/1051079

The hop amounts (and choice) are rather arbitrary - I'm trying to get the IBU's from later additions to get more hop flavour into the beer hence no 60 min addition, but the rest is random. I have a few different hops in the freezer, so those of experience please feel free to suggest alternative combo's. I also have...

Chinook, Apollo, Amarillo (only about 20g / 0.7oz) and Columbus (again only a small amount).

Thanks in advance!

Greg

Why not just use Magnum for all of your IBU's and add your aroma/flavor hops at the end of the boil or in the whirlpool/steep?

Certainly seems fair as an experiment, but I'm with Megary. Move the Magnum back further into the boil and the others to later/flameout. But that's my preferences showing.

I will third the suggestion of getting your IBU,s from a 60 minute boil of Magnum, then add some others late in the boil, or at flameout. I have not used Mandarina Bavaria, or Willamette. I would use Chinook and Cascade late. Amarillo would also seem like another good late addition.

Hi.

Feeling anxious about posting a recipe out there, but I'd love a little feedback please! What I'm after: a strong-ish hoppy pale ale for home. I've called it "Jumble Pale" as a play on jumble sale, as I have a random mix of hops in the freezer ha!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/1051079

The hop amounts (and choice) are rather arbitrary - I'm trying to get the IBU's from later additions to get more hop flavour into the beer hence no 60 min addition, but the rest is random. I have a few different hops in the freezer, so those of experience please feel free to suggest alternative combo's. I also have...

Chinook, Apollo, Amarillo (only about 20g / 0.7oz) and Columbus (again only a small amount).

Thanks in advance!

Greg
I'd leave your mandarina Bavaria for another beer maybe a Lager and spilt your Chinook Columbus Amarillo and Apolloin half do half as you are and half as a dry hop.
As suggested get the majority of you IBUs from an 60min magnum bittering charge

Thanks everyone for your really speedy replies!

I like the Magnum 60min addition, so I will update the recipe later and reply when I've done so. Ben, I like that idea of splitting them and having a healthy dry hop so I might try that.

For the grain bill I'm now pondering lowering the pale ale malt and reducing the abv a little, might drop it below 5% now I've slept on it.

I'll update it and come back. Thanks so much again!

Smart move near all my beers are at or under 5abv you get to drink more beer then before getting the wobbles up.
And if it's a midday tipple it doesn't ruin your afternoons plans.

Exactly my thinking ha!

Just had a look and it looks good to me. I've been doing MB with Cascade or Comet as an aroma hop combination for pale ales for a while now and love it.
Have just started with 100% MB aroma for lagers and about to move back into the combo... :D
...as much as I like MB, I miss the slightly citrusy note in combo with Cascade, Comet, etc

Okay, I've re-edited it based on suggestions.... and a bit of a stab in the dark with a finger in the air : )

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1051079/home-beer

I've also changed the grain bill exchanging the rolled oats for crystal wheat and realised I had some Vienna, so thought I'd add that to the party. I have also lowered the base malt to bring the overall ABV down.

To me it feels like I'm dumping in a lot of hops at 0 mins, but I'd welcome views / opinions on this... might be fine! After a quick Google I'm aiming for 0.8 BU:GU.

Thanks again!

I put in about that amount for a few of mine. It will definitely leave the beer hazy (and give the dry hop something to attach to, to deliver more flavour/aroma).

Certainly seems like a reasonable recipe to try for a hazy pale. Interested to hear how that grain bill works.

... It will definitely leave the beer hazy (and give the dry hop something to attach to, to deliver more flavour/aroma)...

Thanks Mark. Further to this point, and just to throw it out there..... I wonder, could the use of Protafloc pull some of that haze out and therefore give the dry hop less stuff to cling to?

It'll drop a bit, but won't make much of a difference. You're probably better off decreasing the whirlpool amount, leaving some out and moving some to the dry hop. Then moving the remaining flameout/whirlpool to 5 or 10 minutes left in the boil.

Well, it's been a week and it's only at 1.014 and tasting rather banana-y. It's in my basement at around 17 degC, so this might be a tad cold for the US05 maybe. Hopefully it's still going and just taking a long time as it's on the colder end.... and also clean up that banana taste!

Back