Using a hop sock

I sanitized a kitchen strainer and scooped out everything floating (which was the citra whole hops) .. then poured it thru a colander on top of a funnel. It didn't really shut off on me until the very end, but had to watch the pour. I flipped the stuff off into the sink once the flow stopped and then finished the pour. ...

Easy enough to do, but, if there is no reduction in hop utilization for using a "hop sack", I would think, why go free form and add the extra steps and mess?

I built the tricked-out hop sack! Great at straining out hop debris from my beer, very hard to clean. Great idea, though! I may even use it with the disposable bags in the future.

MrBIP said:
Easy enough to do, but, if there is no reduction in hop utilization for using a "hop sack", I would think, why go free form and add the extra steps and mess?

Theoretically, there could be a reduction in utilization, as the hops are not free and moving around in the boil. Hop utilization is reduced with higher gravity wort, so I would assume being confined in a muslin sock would have some effect if it is not moving and exchanging the fluid around it. The suspended open top sock, I believe, is a middle ground between free and confined, and also allows for multiple additions. I like the easy separation at the end of the boil, and as I whirlpool and chill at the same time, I don't have any pump clogging issues. So, even if the utilization is hampered, I would rather adjust the recipe to compensate.

You may taste more bitterness when you do not use a sock because some of the hops tend to get transfered to your fermentor. Whereas, when you use a sock, all of the hops are removed from the wort...

Back