Vienna SMaSH concoction

Yup... Just one batch. Gonna try. Have a fridge, with a heat pad in coupled to a temp controller. What could go wrong?...:confused:
Well... Have we attempted this brew yet? Just curious :)

Well... Have we attempted this brew yet? Just curious :)
Soon.... I have bottled my first two batches of the starter kit, and I am HOOKED!!! Have one more pre mix thing to brew and then the day of reckoning is upon us.

I will report back after.
here is some pics of my first & second batch, both American Amber Ales. :):)
WhatsApp Image 2020-08-24 at 22.25.56.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-08-24 at 22.26.04.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-08-28 at 17.33.45.jpeg

Thanks.
Curiosity got the best of me and I have decided to gove this concoction a go. Jumping in tomorrow afternoon, so I guess about 3 weeks until I will be able to give feedback.
Oh how I hate the waiting!
Certainly keep us informed of the progress and results. :)

Riiighht.. Wort is safely deposited into fermenter.... 3 painstakingly long weeks of waiting.

OG was measured at 1.058, not sure how I got that right, but anyway, that was too high, so I chucked in around 5 liters (what's that around 1.3 gallons) of previously boiled water. Checked OG again and sitting nicely at 1.040 which is a lot closer to the expected 1.043

Now that lovely yeasties must (please) make me some beer!
;)

Most of the time I just let it ride at whatever OG it ends up at. But if you had water on hand ready to go that is a solid approach.

Most of the time I just let it ride at whatever OG it ends up at. But if you had water on hand ready to go that is a solid approach.

I really wish I could take the credit and say that I did... But I didn't, had to quickly boil 3 kettles of water and let it cool. Luckily had a sanitised bucket on hand that was used for thermometer and spoon. As soon as it reached about 30°C I dumped it into the fermenter and stirred. Holding thumbs that there is no infection from all this unnecessary activity. :confused:

It's happily bubbling away now, still 11.5 days to go.

I had to have a taste tonight, even though it is still bubbling away slowly. Bottling day might be extended by a few days to a week, will check SG again on Saturday morning and confirm on Sunday morning to see if it's done. Currently sitting @ about 1.010'ish (just above if I am honest)

The taste is surprisingly good. Nice bitterness to it, so now I also know what 32 IBU's taste like. I think the taste will develop nicely when bottle conditioning, and will be great served ice cold!!

Stay tuned for the next update.

Tried the first one on Thursday, 6 days after bottling, it was good, not great. Today I sampled another one and the difference was clear. Tasted a lot better. Quite bitter, but crisp and refreshing. Made me want to go mow the lawn :p

So I am going to put all my self-control in motion and taste one every week, and see how it develops...

I am very happy that it is drinkable and not a fail at all.

OG was 1.048 & FG 1.010 making it just under 5% ABV. happy with that.

Currently have that kit beer i was supposed to brew before this one in the FV, bubbling away like crazy.

Next up: Weiss beer....... planned for 23 Oct.

Enjoy your week everyone...

Back