How do you know how many cells you have?

wolfie7873

Premium Member
Reaction score
If pitch-rate is important, and a starter is required (or you're using harvested yeast), how do you know how much yeast you're actually pitching? I've learned through experience that you *can* overpitch so I'm trying to figure out how to know how many cells are in a starter.

If you're doing a starter, overpitching is not likely. Basically, if I remember my read of the Brewing Elements book "Yeast," a single yeast starter will about double your initial number of cells. The initial number is not possible to determine unless you have a microscope and know how much liquid is in the vial/smack pack. At our scale, knowing exactly how many yeast cells we have isn't so important so I use the following rule of thumb: Less than 1.06, no starter (or a pint/half liter starter at most). More than 1.06, use a starter. I'm more likely to go to a liter starter for beers above 1.06 but that's just my preference. I get good results and that's mostly all I'm after.

So is the purpose of the starter to multiply numbers *and* condition the yeast, or simply multiply their numbers? i.e., if a smack pack is for 5 gallons of wort, and I brew a 2 gallon batch of a "big" beer, would the smack pack without a starter work well?

the purpose of a starter is 1 to multiply the yeast, in most cases double the amount and 2 to wake up any dormant yeast thats been settled to the bottom

I have been using liquid yeast and have never received a vial/pac of yeast that had 100 billion cells. I guess being from Canada, we are just too far away from getting fresh yeast. No matter though, a starter to me is always required and with Brewers Friend starter calculator I get enough cells for my brews. A total guess though as far as numbers go and I never worry about it. Make a starter, brew and RDWAHAHB.

SwampWater said:
I have been using liquid yeast and have never received a vial/pac of yeast that had 100 billion cells. I guess being from Canada, we are just too far away from getting fresh yeast. No matter though, a starter to me is always required and with Brewers Friend starter calculator I get enough cells for my brews. A total guess though as far as numbers go and I never worry about it. Make a starter, brew and RDWAHAHB.

RDWHAHB, rinse, repeat.... You will never go wrong making a starter.

OK, let's say I have harvested yeast from a previous batch. How do I know how much of IT to use on any given batch?

the general rule I go by is I use twice the amount as store bought yeast

In order to re-use yeast there are a lot of different opinions.
Some say never, some say no more than 3 times, some say 9,but sanitation is the key for any yeast. What I do and has worked well for me is pitch first liquid yeast in a 5 gal batch without starter with wort under 1.06 gravity. I use a starter if bigger beer. I then save the yeast in a qt canning jar with the lid tightly sealed. Depending on the next beer gravity this is usually enough yeast for 2-5 gal batches. This will continue to multiply as you reuse.
As an experiment once I re-used 9 times. With the 9th batch some sort of super yeast infected and the FG of those batches were 1.002(this was 2- 5gal batches as I brew 10gal at a time). Pretty watery beer. No bad flavors but very watery alcoholic.
Not a very scientific answer but IMO saving and re-using yeast works well and to split the yeast to 2 batches does also. Never have overpitched doing this. Extreme sanitation is a must though. RHAHB and laugh if you do make a mistake.

Back