Cirtus IPA

dinopino

Trial Member
Reaction score
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... 362/pk-ipa

This is my first attempt at creating a recipe so any feedback would be helpful! I was shooting for a citrusy/lemony IPA to make for my father for Father's day this year since found out he enjoyed the flavor combination. I figured I'd work on brewing a few things in between normal batch runs until I find something I think he'd like. I've never used or had a beer with Sorachi Ace in it (and not even confident I can get my hands on it easily), but from what I've read it sounds like a touchy hop that you only want to use a little of in the end of the boil. Thought of throwing in some lemon zest with 5 minutes or so left in the boil as well, but I don't want to go overboard on it either.

you might try adding some citra to the finish, its got a very citrus type of flavor too

Not sure what "touchy" means with Sorachi Ace, but wouldn't be afraid of it. I made a wheat beer last year with Sorachi Ace and Lemon Peel/Lemon zest. It had some "lemon-ey-ness" in it, but could have used more even. When I did that I put lemon peel in the boil and then I put lemon zest in dry hop with the hops.

Midwest, NB and Morebeer all have Sorachi Ace.... no problem getting it.

Personally, I'd cut the C40 in half and completely knock out the carapils.

I recently made a pale with all sorachi ace. It didn't have much for citrus, but what I can describe as onion with a little cat box. I wasn't too happy. So far I have let it age over 3 months and it has mellowed but the onion is still there. What is interesting is that the first taste is a turn off, but after a few sips it's not bad.
If you want to make a citrus IPA, I would probably stick with citra and other C hops.

By "touchy" I suppose I meant there have been so many mixed reviews about hope the sorachi turns out and when to add it if you're going that route. From what I've read it seems a little in the last 5-10 min of the boil is sufficient. In terms of hops I wanted to use cascade since we have an abundance to use off a harvest, but I will probably go with citra (originally that was most of my entire hop build) in addition and wanted to try and pull some lemon off the sorachi for taste along with lemon zest in the last few min of the boil and possibly secondary if it could use it after I try it while transferring. Goal is to taste like an IPA with a lemon added to it. Thanks for the input and I'll re-evaluate the grain bill as well. At the time I was just basing off a few generic recipes and more focused on my BU/OG ratio along with in getting in the correct style limits.

Back