Crushing/milling options with no mill

SabreSteve

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey so I have one brew with extract under my belt, hoping to taste the end result in a few days. Getting ready to do my first brew that'll have steeping grains and I have some questions/concerns. One of the grains I'm using I'll be using the entire amount I purchase so I'll be buying it milled. The other 2 though I'll likely have leftover so I'm assuming it's best to keep it whole till I use it. The thing is I don't have a mill. Planning to buy a Corona mill at some point as I move towards BIAB but buying it now really isn't an option. My wife seems to be getting a little fatigued from my equipment purchases so I figure I should cool it for a while. I'm figuring my best options without a mill involve a Ziploc bag and some kind of hammer (meat tenderizer?) or maybe the food processor but just do like a few quick pulses? Or should I have the store mill it all for me?

How long do you plan on having it around? If not real long, I'd just have it milled.
I'm sure a few pulses with a blender or food processor, maybe a coffee grinder would work just fine. Baggy and a rolling pin...

How long do you plan on having it around? If not real long, I'd just have it milled.
I'm sure a few pulses with a blender or food processor, maybe a coffee grinder would work just fine. Baggy and a rolling pin...
Don't know but I'd say it'll probably be better measured in months than weeks

Before I purchased my own mill, I’d have my LHBS mill it for me. Then, I’d wrap the bag they gave me in a layer or two of plastic wrap if I wasn’t going to brew for a few weeks/months. I never had an issue.

Before I purchased my own mill, I’d have my LHBS mill it for me. Then, I’d wrap the bag they gave me in a layer or two of plastic wrap if I wasn’t going to brew for a few weeks/months. I never had an issue.
That could work. Then do you store it at room temp or refrigerate/freeze it?

Since these are steeping grains and not something you need to mash to extract sugars from, I don't think your crushing method will affect much. So, I would say buy them unmilled.

Room temp. No need to refrigerate or freeze with one caveat. IMO it’s a good practice, if you have the capability, to stick your grain In the freezer for 4 days to kill any possible mill bugs or larvae that may be present. It’s a fact of life that these things are very common. Probably all of us have been mashing with mill bugs and don’t even know it. There’s a good chance you won’t be a victim of these critters. But, if you’re going to store your grain for an extended period and have the capacity, it’s a good preventative measure.

If you are purchasing from LHBS then they will sell you exactly what you need and you won't need to worry about it. However if your ordering from an online store then they usually sell 1lb increments. In that case, I would have them mill it and wrap the leftover amount in plastic wrap, ziplock, or even use a food saver machines if you have one.

I'd keep it whole and crush a pound or two as needed for steeping. As @BarbarianBrewer notess, steeping grains are much more forgiving of crush size and method. You can put the grain in a heavy ziplock bag and use a rolling pin to crush small amounts. A food processor or blender can work but you'll have a lot of "flour" and you'll need an appropriate mesh bag to steep in.

I'd keep it whole and crush a pound or two as needed for steeping. As @BarbarianBrewer notess, steeping grains are much more forgiving of crush size and method. You can put the grain in a heavy ziplock bag and use a rolling pin to crush small amounts. A food processor or blender can work but you'll have a lot of "flour" and you'll need an appropriate mesh bag to steep in.
Best answer

Maybe a pestle and mortar if they are small amounts?
Or coffee grinder?
Lasagna roller?
Or find something small with adjustable rollers and use to make flaked oats, flour and muesli etc.
I started with this one :https://www.marcato.it/en/product/manual_machines/marga-mulino

But I would probably buy them milled till you have a mill. Meanwhile, check the second hand market

I know they aren't super common, but I crush grains with my Kitchen Aid Grain Mill.

If you are purchasing from LHBS then they will sell you exactly what you need and you won't need to worry about it. However if your ordering from an online store then they usually sell 1lb increments. In that case, I would have them mill it and wrap the leftover amount in plastic wrap, ziplock, or even use a food saver machines if you have one.
Look around, there are home brew shops that sell by the oz.

I brew mostly extract with specialty grains and use a coffee grinder: 2-4 short bursts works wrll.

I have a kitchen aid but how much does the mill attachment cost?
Not sure exactly. $100?? Mine dates back to the early 90’s and whatever it cost back then, I surely got my monies worth. Whatever they cost now, it would create the impression of costing much less if you can justify its purchase for something else besides making beer. :)

One thing though, I brew 2.5 gallon all-grain batches (6-9 lbs of malt usually) and I think that is probably the upper practical limit for a KA Mill. Beyond that batch size, it would just take way too long to crush all the grain needed and you’d be best served looking for an alternative.

Good luck.

I use a corona mill and a bucket personally. They're super cheap and if you have a drill they work like a dream.

Room temp. No need to refrigerate or freeze with one caveat. IMO it’s a good practice, if you have the capability, to stick your grain In the freezer for 4 days to kill any possible mill bugs or larvae that may be present. It’s a fact of life that these things are very common. Probably all of us have been mashing with mill bugs and don’t even know it. There’s a good chance you won’t be a victim of these critters. But, if you’re going to store your grain for an extended period and have the capacity, it’s a good preventative measure.

A little extra protein doesn't hurt anyone. ;-)

Back