.XML files

Brouwerij Nuenhem

Trial Member
Reaction score
When I want to download an .xml file (Grainfather) in Brewer's Friend and want to edit it, the message "loading awesome recipe" stays on my screen and the circle keeps spinning. It has already taken about 10 minutes or something: I can't edit or scale anything.

What am I doing wrong?

John

When I want to download an .xml file (Grainfather) in Brewer's Friend and want to edit it, the message "loading awesome recipe" stays on my screen and the circle keeps spinning. It has already taken about 10 minutes or something: I can't edit or scale anything.

What am I doing wrong?

John
It seems that those who could really answer this question aren't on at the moment.
I read into it and it seems so straight-forward that I can't imagine that you are doing it wrong...
A couple questions though just to see if we can figure it out:
1. Was the recipe first saved to your desktop and then uploaded to BF?
2. What option did you choose for the ingredients? - Maybe this choice is doing something unexpected... ?
3. Have you tried doing it in a separate window where you can let it do its thing for as long as it may need while you surf the web and/or forums here?

You should be able to export any XML file. Are you doing it from inside the recipe (one recipe), or trying to do all of your recipe files? Here's how I start when I want just one:
upload_2020-8-27_8-50-48.png

Then once I click that, I get this screen and click the green boxed area, and get the file downloaded:

upload_2020-8-27_8-52-1.png

Are you getting "stuck" after you click that green download box?

I've just had a look at this and I can EXPORT a recipe, already created and in VIEW mode, to BEERXML format.
The file gets saved to where I point it and the, when I load it into Notepad it looks ok.

I can't see anywhere in BF a method for IMPORTING a file from another system - If I am reading this correctly - originally from Grainfather and exists as a file on your PC.

I can only see an export from BF to local file system. I don't have any other brewing software anyway so I would have no need to IMPORT a file into BF but it is an interesting concept.

Having said that I have just found the IMPORT RECIPE entry in the menu... I'll shut up now... and try and import one I have already exported...

Update to above.

I have just imported a previously Exported recipe, from a local disc, and once I went to my Recipes list - it was there, with a warning to go into Edit and Save it before I could do anything to it. I did that and all was OK. So it all works for me here...

You should be able to export any XML file. Are you doing it from inside the recipe (one recipe), or trying to do all of your recipe files? Here's how I start when I want just one:
View attachment 11608

Then once I click that, I get this screen and click the green boxed area, and get the file downloaded:

View attachment 11609

Are you getting "stuck" after you click that green download box?
I believe he is trying to IMPORT a .xml file from Grainfather INTO Brewer's friend.

I just tried from a local XML file from another software, but not grainfather, and was successful.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/import

Due to the out of date nature of the BeerXML standard, some things are not structured or supported the same way between different software, so I highly recommend reviewing after import.

upload_2020-8-27_16-39-3.png

It seems that those who could really answer this question aren't on at the moment.
I read into it and it seems so straight-forward that I can't imagine that you are doing it wrong...
A couple questions though just to see if we can figure it out:
1. Was the recipe first saved to your desktop and then uploaded to BF?
2. What option did you choose for the ingredients? - Maybe this choice is doing something unexpected... ?
3. Have you tried doing it in a separate window where you can let it do its thing for as long as it may need while you surf the web and/or forums here?

@Blackmuse :
Had already done all this, the only thing I had not done yet is step 2 but in the meantime I have also tried the other option but nothing helps. Perhaps Grainfather and Brewers Friend don't get along. I've been running my computer for more than half an hour to import the file, but nothing else; doesn't think that should take so much time.

Update to above.

I have just imported a previously Exported recipe, from a local disc, and once I went to my Recipes list - it was there, with a warning to go into Edit and Save it before I could do anything to it. I did that and all was OK. So it all works for me here...

@AHarper :
That is what I also experience. But if I choose "edit", it goes wrong.

What browser are you using? I need to try to recreate it.

Hi Yooper. I'm using Chrome. I haven't done it on my phone yet. Have you?

Thanks for your patience, @Brouwerij Nuenhem. The grainfather file you were trying to upload was having issues as the hop addition use was "hop stand" which is not a supported property of the BeerXML 1.0 standard, or Brewer's Friend (it has since been added).

Unfortunately BeerXML was last updated in 2005, so it's woefully in need of an update. As new techniques and procedures become common place, every software finds different ways of supporting them. Most have gone with "whirlpool" as the use type, but grainfather (and one or two others) has also added "hop stand".

We've provided an update to resolve this issue. Please let us know if you're still having any problems.

Back