What the Heck is going on???

Mike C

Trial Member
Reaction score
Now this is not my first batch of beer, cider, or wines.....but this one is new to me! I started a 90 min IPA on Dec. 30......70 + hours later it finally starts working (whew) goes for two days and dies....still as a morning lake surface. I add the dry hops (on the recommended 5th day) dead. I let it set for three days....dead. I move it to a 2nd ferm in a 5 gal carboy. 2 days later dead. So I add a package of super clear as directed day later it starts working (for two days) and then dead. And it ain't even clearing so what to do?? Add another package of super clear. Guess what off it goes again and is bubbling away (and of course still very clowdy). Of by the way ISG was 1.09 and when I moved it to snd ferm it was 1.02. So what are my chances??? :?

Some times I feel a bit like Click and Clack on Car Talk (sadly, Tom is no longer with us). But still, I'll give it a try with the caveat, put about as much faith in this diagnosis as you'd put in the Car Guys'. If I understand correctly, you brewed a 1.09 wort, pitched it, it waited 70 hours to start, then only fermented two days. You then added Super Clear, it started working again, worked for two more days, then quit. You then added the dry hops, it bubbled for three more days, then quit. It ended up at 1.02. That actually sounds like a reasonable final gravity and not an unreasonable fermentation routine, although I can't understand the Super Clear.

It's still very cloudy at 1.02. Sounds like fermentation isn't done. And it sounds like a couple of things could be causing the problems. First guess would be aeration/oxygenation. 1.09 is a big beer: You can't get enough O2 for the yeast by shaking or airstone aeration. You either need pure O2 or a second aeration within about 12 hours of pitching. Next possibility is temperature. If the temperature in your fermentation area isn't controlled well, you may get ups and downs of a few degrees, enough to affect yeast performance. Pitch rate is a possibility. You didn't mention a starter but at 1.09, you either need four packages of dried yeast or a big starter of liquid yeast. Still, you may get a good beer out of this if you're patient enough and the Super Clear didn't knock all your yeast out of suspension. A hint with fermentor finings: Don't use them until fermentation is done. I mean done done. I mean shortly before packaging done. Good luck with it!

(Cue Doggy Mountain Breakdown banjo music....)

Nosybear said:
Some times I feel a bit like Click and Clack on Car Talk (sadly, Tom is no longer with us).
RIP!
I grew up (teen years) with Click and Clack. I knew more about what can go wrong with a car and how to fix it before I even had a drivers license than most who had had a car from before I was born. :lol:

Pretty close bear! But please read my original post again. I waited four days of non-activity before going to second ferm and waited another 2 days of NO activity before adding the super clear. I kicked back off after two days then went no activity again....waited two more days of non-activity but it wasn't clearing. The O2 maybe an issue but since it is ferming in my Garage I have been spending a bunch on elec to keep the temp even at about 65-70 degrees. As of today it's still clowdy and bubbling like crazy. I used the wyelabs Scotish ale yeast (liquid). Gonna try the "Bells two hearted ale" next. I have produced some ery high ABV Russian Imp Stout, Quad ale, and a Porter that everyone loves. My first batch of 90min I got in a rush (holiday brewing) and used my cider yeast and put the ale yeast in a dark apple cider. Both turned out great by the way both above 9% My porter, quad and stout turned out over 10%. This is looking at being over 12% but I don't want wine. I have an cherry apple cider that has been "working" since the 30th with an ISG of 1.08 Hmmmm! I've only been brewing for the last two months but I produced 16 cases of beer and 12 of various ciders (as well as Port, Sherry, 2 batches of wine and two cases of various whiskeys) for holiday enjoyment and gifts. Got GREAT reviews from all and a few complaints on hangovers. Old (65) vet retired with nothing better to do then brew, make jerky and sausage and of course enjoy the results. Will be retiring to the Michigan UP where beer making and drinking is a sport :)

Mike, first, thanks for your service! I'm an old Air Force guy - emphasis on old, although not yet retired to a life of bouncing grandchildren and brewing beer.

Given the behavior you described (and the part I missed), I'd still go with oxygenation. Another possibility I hate to bring up but if it's still bubbling after dropping from 1.09 to 1.02 and is still cloudy using the Scottish Ale Yeast, a highly flocculent strain that doesn't produce a "dry" beer, there may be something you don't want working in there. Based on the average attenuation of that yeast, I'd guess your FG should have been around 1.026 and you're well below that. Any off-flavors in the beer?

Thanks Bear,

Old ground pounder her. 7th ID in Korea 68 up on the "Z" and then two tours central highlands in the 4th ID wit 1st Air and 75th Rangers 68 - 71. Loads of fun!!! Doing both bounching and....well what can I say. I made it back. O2 maybe an issue but same process and conditions on all I have "created" before. Stiil bubbling and I'm afraid to taste it :). Just started a batch of Octoberfest and Bell's "Two hearted ale". Oktoberfest with a beginning SG of 1.092 and the bells at 1.12....potentially scary stuff. Must be in my steeping. When all is said and done (and if I live through it) I'll let you know. Thinking now about getting an O2 tank to help arreate. You guys may have pulled my bacon off the fire several times. Hooah!! Call sign was "longman" given by the "yards" because of my height nothing more.

What yeast did you use on this? 1.090 is a big beer and really should have a starter or at least double pitch the dry yeast and be sure to rehydrate dry yeast first. and yes yes yes to the pure O2! even on smaller beers the yeast really loves a good shot of O2 at the beginning, makes for much healthier yeast. You really can't over-do the O2 at the beginning. I have honestly tried just to see what would happen. I ran over 30 minutes of pure O2 through a .5 micron filter and then through a stainless stone out of my big commercial size O2 cylinder. Did you taste what you have? at this point (1.020) I don't think you can do much about it anyway, as long as it's not infected just enjoy it. Are you kegging? If you are bottling, I might be concerned that you may end up with some bombs. Keep a close eye on it and be careful. :eek:

I used Wyelabs "Scottish ale". It wa still working as of yesterday when I dumped it. Didin't look right, smell right and unlike Andrew Zimmer I wasn't gonna take a chance. Bummer.... will start another batch tomorrow. Will also take the O2 to account. I arreate pretty well but the O2 makes sense. With a few manmade replacements I have to becareful of what goes down the hatch. Thanks for all the advice. Bear take care!!

Six-two-and-even-over-and-out

Back