Specific Gravity Puzzlement

Brews Brother

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey, friends,
I brew a variety of all-grain beers in the Marzen, Fest, IPA, Pale Ale, Bock and Belgian categories, among other things. Despite a variety of calcuated F.G.s ranging from 1.012-1.015, I always come in at 1.010-1.012, so my final ABV always seems to be a little higher than expected. My O.G.s are generally on target with estimated gravities or a little lower.

Any possible explanations for this? I don't really have any complaints about the outcomes, just curiosity about the measurements.

Attenuation? I think Brewer's Friend uses standard values for attenuation, yours may differ. Are your beers coming out "dry" tasting? If so, you're likely getting better performance from the yeast than advertised.

are you sure your mash temps are correct? if your temp is a bit lower than you planned, you'll end up with a more highly fermentable wort.

Thanks for the ideas. I mostly use yeasts from Fermentis unless I'm shooting for something more esoteric, and I note that they really kick in actively very quickly, so attenuation could be one influence. My mash temps are reasonably well dialed in around 152-154 and I rarely go below that. Maybe I'll just pat myself on the back, kick back and enjoy a homebrew. :lol:

Back