Stir bar retrieval

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So when I pitched my yeast last week, I tossed my stir bar into the carboy as well..whooppsie!

Not like I need to get it out right now and will get it out when I bottle but ....how do you guys keep from throwing the baby out with the bath water?

I'm thinking that I'll just pour the slurry through a SanStar soaked strainer.....any other good tricks and tips out there??

Ha, I've done it many times. I've used a magnet before to slide it out, but I usually just dumped it out with everything else and washed it off. I'm on a septic system so I empty outside so it's easily retrieved. If you empty in the sink, just remember to put your strainer stopper in.

I have a magnet i hold against the bottom of the flask while pitching and during the first rinse, then I dump the stir bar.

I do too! I have the magnet.
BUT................I often still forget. I get it out when I clean out the fermenter if I miss doing it.

One time, I found an entire airlock, fully assembled, in the bottom of my fermenter. I have no idea how that happened, but I rinsed it off and cleaned it and the beer was great. I DO remember how the screwdriver got in one time though.

I do too! I have the magnet.
BUT................I often still forget. I get it out when I clean out the fermenter if I miss doing it.

One time, I found an entire airlock, fully assembled, in the bottom of my fermenter. I have no idea how that happened, but I rinsed it off and cleaned it and the beer was great. I DO remember how the screwdriver got in one time though.

LOL...another post for the "you know you did it wrong when....." thread!

I'm starting to put those little reminders on my brew day check list but they still get lost in the passion of the moment...or is it the fog of the battle? I guess it's however your brew day is going!!;):mad::p:D:rolleyes:

Ha, I've done it many times. I've used a magnet before to slide it out, but I usually just dumped it out with everything else and washed it off. I'm on a septic system so I empty outside so it's easily retrieved. If you empty in the sink, just remember to put your strainer stopper in.
I'm on a septic system too. Why and what do you dump outside vs sending to the septic system? I've sent 150+ batches of fermenter trub & yeast down the drain, as well as small amounts of PBW and Star San solution. I dump the larger amounts of PBW/Star San outside (anything over a gallon at once), just in case. Have not had problems yet, knock on wood.

I'm on a septic system too. Why and what do you dump outside vs sending to the septic system? I've sent 150+ batches of fermenter trub & yeast down the drain, as well as small amounts of PBW and Star San solution. I dump the larger amounts of PBW/Star San outside (anything over a gallon at once), just in case. Have not had problems yet, knock on wood.
Straight from fivestarchemicals.com :
Is Star San septic safe?
Yes, but when disposing of the chemical you will want to have the water running to ensure that it is heavily diluted. Once the bottle is empty have the water run for another minute or two.

whew... you had me worried there! I suppose I should check on the PBW...

I honestly had never thought anything of it... Thanks for bringing it up.
I tend to dump my trub down the toilet though sometimes it goes into the woods and is rinsed away with the hose.

Yeah, pbw and Star San are both relatively safe but I don't dump them down the drain either. I also don't like adding anymore solids than need be to the system either. They're just fine being dumped in the compost pile.
I've installed enough septic systems thru the years to know that I don't want to have to relocate and update my own to current codes if I don't have to.
No disposer either:cool:

I have fermented the occasional stir bar as well. What I try to do is just slow down the pouring of the starter, and keep an eye on the stir bar.

Yeah, pbw and Star San are both relatively safe but I don't dump them down the drain either. I also don't like adding anymore solids than need be to the system either. They're just fine being dumped in the compost pile.
I've installed enough septic systems thru the years to know that I don't want to have to relocate and update my own to current codes if I don't have to.
No disposer either:cool:

I've done both given the "how much" factor...a little goes down the drain....a lot goes outside. I can't prove it but I have had luck eradicating a ground hog or 2 from the property with trub down their holes and have noticed a difference in the breakdown of the compost pile since becoming a brewer. Spent StarSan on the other hand is used for wildflower irrigation!

I think Nosy's method is going to get used on this batch...I'm considering reusing this yeast batch.

Back