LalBrew Voss Kveik Dry Yeast Testimonial

I enjoyed it. Last of the batch. Now on to something else.

The VOSS I am using is from Escarpment Labs, a local company. Altgough many of their yeast strains are loaded here, their VOSS isn't listed here on BF, so I just put the OYL version in my recipes.

Fyi escarpments Voss is in the database. Not sure if it was a recent addition or a settings issue but I'm seeing it now.

I've brewed almost exclusively with kveik, mostly Voss, for about a year now. I'm a big fan. Only exception has been Belgian, saisons (several mixed), sours (L. Plantarum), and Brett (mixed culture).

I got a packet of Voss from a lallemand rep at a festival and have been keeping it as a backup when/if my house culture of Voss (from Omega) goes sideways.

As far as the small krausen goes, I wouldn't count on it. It's always better to use a blow-off tube and not need it, than to need one and not have it.

i used kveik out of neccesity due to our alcohol ban,was amazing to get fermentation in 3 days
somehow the other yeasts have left me dismayed,due to their fermentation time,but then again,i needed speed.

i used kveik out of neccesity due to our alcohol ban,was amazing to get fermentation in 3 days
somehow the other yeasts have left me dismayed,due to their fermentation time,but then again,i needed speed.
I believe you're in South Africa.... Given the heat, unless you have capability of keeping the mash temperature down, Kveik is a good choice.

I believe you're in South Africa.... Given the heat, unless you have capability of keeping the mash temperature down, Kveik is a good choice.
yes,the min ferment temp i recorded so far was 22deg cels,but the kveik batch brewing i kept in a room that held it at about 35-38deg cels.
i then fermented another batch onto the yeast cake,was worryin to see the airlock bubbling after about 30 mins:eek:
i assume it was done in 3 days agai,but i left it another two.
then i saw all kveik yeast locally was sold out,lol'
but they are available again now.

I was away this weekend, but the stout I had fermenting with the Voss is finally done (I think). No airlock activity now and it was slow on Friday. It has been hot here in Sweden the last week or so, so the yeast has had 26-28C to work with, although the last few days it has been in the bathroom and down to 22-24C. Given the discussion, I was amazed that fermentation took so long, but... It was a big beer and fermenting out in a week is still amazingly good.

I am hoping to bottle tonight and will see what the FG is.

Given the discussion, I was amazed that fermentation took so long
I just brewed a 1.067 IPA with dry Voss. I was surprised that it took almost 2-1/2+ days to hit final gravity, I pitch a full packet (11 grams) at 94-95F (35C) into 7-1/2 gallons. It took off really fast, but it just kept going. It never drop below 85F (30C).

I've use S04 (11 grams) and it finished in 4 to 5 days at 68F (20C), I guess Voss is a little faster, but I was expect the mythical 24-36 hours for final gravity. Am I expecting too much?

Should I do a starter for an OG of 1.070? Never used Voss before, so not sure what the protocol is for higher ABV beers. I typically do a 1 liter starter for this type of OG, but wanted to see what y'all have experienced with it.

I've used it 3 times so far.
Small Krausen on the lover gravity beers and blow off on a 1.070 IPA.
I'm getting ~80% attenuation and reaching final gravity in 3-4 days @ 80°.
I will say the beers produced with this are much better after a week of cold conditioning.
It's definitely more fruity than the Chico strain.
Cheers,
Brian

I've used it 3 times so far.
Small Krausen on the lover gravity beers and blow off on a 1.070 IPA.
I'm getting ~80% attenuation and reaching final gravity in 3-4 days @ 80°.
I will say the beers produced with this are much better after a week of cold conditioning.
It's definitely more fruity than the Chico strain.
Cheers,
Brian

Did you do a starter?

My main concern would be off flavors due to the higher than normal OG.

Fruity flavors and aromas is what I'm going for, so that is no issue. I'm using Galaxy, Citra, and Mosaic. So more fruity from the yeast should play well with the hops.

Did you do a starter?

My main concern would be off flavors due to the higher than normal OG.

Fruity flavors and aromas is what I'm going for, so that is no issue. I'm using Galaxy, Citra, and Mosaic. So more fruity from the yeast should play well with the hops.
I just properly re-hydrate. It doesn't seem to mind a little under pitching.

Greetings,

After reading the pros and cons of Kveik, I decided to try it.

I brewed an APA with an OC of 1.053, added 2 oz of Cascade hops at flame-out, and drained the brew kettle into a plastic fermentation bucket at 200F (93C) and let it no-chill overnight. Sprinkled 1 packet of Voss Kveik at 88F (31C). Fermentation started in 2 hours. It is summertime here in Florida, and my garage temperature is a steady 85-90F (29-32C)

My question is, even though some Kveik beers are said to finish in 3 days, would it be wiser to wait a few more days (or a week) after FG in order to clean up finer before kegging?

Greetings,

After reading the pros and cons of Kveik, I decided to try it.

I brewed an APA with an OC of 1.053, added 2 oz of Cascade hops at flame-out, and drained the brew kettle into a plastic fermentation bucket at 200F (93C) and let it no-chill overnight. Sprinkled 1 packet of Voss Kveik at 88F (31C). Fermentation started in 2 hours. It is summertime here in Florida, and my garage temperature is a steady 85-90F (29-32C)

My question is, even though some Kveik beers are said to finish in 3 days, would it be wiser to wait a few more days (or a week) after FG in order to clean up finer before kegging?

Good question. My thought is let the beer sit on the yeast a bit more. Regardless of the yeast type, I always go at least a week in the primary (most of the time it is 10 days).

However, I've never done Kveik, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Well, checked the beer today for bottling and decided airlock activity was low enough (I.e. there was none) to go ahead. Did my usual routine and packaged 10.23 litres of a decent, roasty stout with honey as the priming sugar.

FG was a higher than expected 1.022 giving a 7% beer, much, much lower than the plan of just over 10%, but only slightly lower than the brew day suggested. Maybe another day or two in the fermenter would have gone me another point or two, but I don’t mind. It tastes decent and I think it will be a better stout because of the lower ABV.

Still unsure about the Voss.., it went of quickly and did a clean job of fermenting in the heat, so maybe I will make that my summer strain. I still want to try it with a normal beer at some point, something that will allow any fruity notes to come through.

It won't hurt it, and if it makes you feel more secure then there is no downside to it. I've kegged in 4 days before and liked the beer, could it have been even better? Maybe.

Well, checked the beer today for bottling and decided airlock activity was low enough (I.e. there was none) to go ahead. Did my usual routine and packaged 10.23 litres of a decent, roasty stout with honey as the priming sugar.

FG was a higher than expected 1.022 giving a 7% beer, much, much lower than the plan of just over 10%, but only slightly lower than the brew day suggested. Maybe another day or two in the fermenter would have gone me another point or two, but I don’t mind. It tastes decent and I think it will be a better stout because of the lower ABV.

Still unsure about the Voss.., it went of quickly and did a clean job of fermenting in the heat, so maybe I will make that my summer strain. I still want to try it with a normal beer at some point, something that will allow any fruity notes to come through.

You should really get a hydrometer, airlock activity is a very unreliable measure of whether or not a beer is finished. I'd hate for you to end up with bottle bombs.

From what I've read and found on the Kviek certain strains anyhow. You don't need a starter underpitching is fine. It's good to drink once it's finished fermenting the Norwegians have Obskake (spelling) a couple days after brew day. From what I've read and watched locals just invite themselves over a couple days after they see you brewing to drink your beer.
Pitching around 30c seems the norm. Pitch at milk temperature Lars puts it whatever temp the milk comes out the cow:confused:...:)
I have found from consecutive pitches with namely hornindal some batches fire quicker than others just like most fermentations. Sometimes it will drag out sometimes you don't even see high krausen.

Like with all yeast i wouldn't form an opinion on one fermentation and with one beer style.

Yeah you don’t need a starter and you should under pitch what you think pitch hot and keep it warm. I leave 5-7 days so I don’t aim for the 2-3 days thing.

Back