Im embarrassed to ask

Josh Hughes

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Have not had this issue in a while so im a little scared. I brewed a milk stout Saturday and pitched at 75, withing a few hours it was comfortably below 68 (which I my target high with S-04) Ive kept it in the low 60's no higher than 64 since then. Today I actually had to work today (teacher work day) so I didnt get o change ice bottles. It was 70-71 this evening about 8pm. My wife did change the bottle at 2 and she said it was still cold just not frozen. So my guess no more than 3-4 hours at 70-71. Am I screwed? It has been fermenting like a champ since early Sunday.

You'll be fine. I just had s0-04 go up to 70F overnight also. Got it back down to 66 the next morning and it just kept going. You've nothing to worry about!

S-04 runs pretty fast, though at lower temps it wouldn't have gotten as far in a couple of days. Being that the early stages of reproduction and fermentation were done, the higher temps shouldn't change much. If you'd been that warm from the beginning, it could be overly fruity or even develop some fusels (though that part is unlikely).
Most yeasts do better with steady temps and don't like big swings. That's more problematic than the high temperature. It'll still be fine but just be aware that you'll get better and more consistent beer when you get steady temp control.

Being home All day I’m usually on it pretty well. With school stuff starting back I’ll need to scale back some, use Kveik more, or US-05 since 68 is real easy for me to keep. I’m quite primitive I have a yeti that I put 2 one gallon car boys in and that keeps the temp real steady. My second batch was in a stock pot so it doesn’t hold as well.

Look on fb market place for a cheap 5.0 cu. ft. chest freezer and then get a inkbird controller on Amazon...I mean you spent how much on that yeti?

I have had S04 hit +75F with no issues. As long as it started at 68F it will fine. S04 finishes very fast, 3-4 days is not unusual for a 1.060 or lower gravity beer.

Yeti was free lol. Got it as a perk of using a fundraiser company at school for sports.
You could sell the yeti then purchase the freezer & controller. You'd probably have enough left over to buy grain & hops for a couple of batches!

No fridge yet but I ordered an inkbird so I can at least monitor temp. My little big mouth bubbler is a #5 stopper. Any clue on a stopper that will fit this and have the extra hole for the probe? Or tape it to the side? I’ve searched and not seen a stopper

I've been in that same boat and in the mid 70's but bought it down slow back to 65 66 using the swamp cooler set up I am using right now. Everything I have read and heard speaks to what J A pointed to...it's those big swings and shocking the yeast with too fast a change.

. I had a power outage here in Louisiana for several hours .

And Bubba Wade...you be careful down there....I'm not sure where Monroe is but you guys look like your whole state is in for quite a blow!

No fridge yet but I ordered an inkbird so I can at least monitor temp. My little big mouth bubbler is a #5 stopper. Any clue on a stopper that will fit this and have the extra hole for the probe? Or tape it to the side? I’ve searched and not seen a stopper
Did you get the wifi version of the inkbird? I have both the regular and the wifi version. The wifi version is worth it since my ferm freezer is in the basement.

I didn’t get the WiFi but I can get a thing to make it that way.

I do have a stopper for my Big Mouth bubbler but I have zero clue on what size it is. If you look on Northern Brewer sight I'm sure you could find out. They also have responded to my past emails so you could email them. I think most just tape the probe to the side with some type of insulation over for better readings. Your temp readings will be close enough.

I’ll just tape then if you guys do that. NB didn’t have a #5 with a separate hole. When I emailed they suggested a tilt ;)

And Bubba Wade...you be careful down there....I'm not sure where Monroe is but you guys look like your whole state is in for quite a blow!
The storm veered a bit East and we got hit harder than expected. But the power is back on and I’m getting out the chain saw to start clean up. Lost a couple of big trees but no house damage.

I didn’t get the WiFi but I can get a thing to make it that way.
Hey JNH what thing would make the regular inkbird wifi? I also have a regular one that would be great to have wifi.

Back