Self Destruct or Not?

1 gallon tragedy

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello Everybody, I have been brewing for about 2 years and made my share of miss steps but usually I can salvage the, im not so sure about this one.
I made my 3rd batch of alcoholic ginger beer, its primarily fruit and ginger root so the addition of sugar is necessary for a good fermentation. My mistake is that I used 2lbs of sugar, 1lb cane, 1lb of brown sugar. The recipe called for 5lbs of sugar, it didnt dawn on me until the next day 24 hours after fermentation has started. I added an additional 3lbs of sugar to the batch but after doing some reading, it appears I could have totally wrecked the batch, one by adding large amounts of sugar and two by doing it during early fermentation. The one thing I do have going for me is that this isnt a true beer and resembles more a cider or a wine. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

You're early enough it shouldn't make that much difference. In fact, when brewing big Belgians, the professionals use "Le Dosage," a late addition of sugars, to get the beer to the alcohol levels they desire. 24-48 hours after fermentation starts is about when the pros in Belgium do it, so you should be fine. You may even like the results better, as long as everything was sanitary. Next time I'd recommend making a thick syrup and boiling it for ten minutes to sanitize.

Nosybear said:
You're early enough it shouldn't make that much difference. In fact, when brewing big Belgians, the professionals use "Le Dosage," a late addition of sugars, to get the beer to the alcohol levels they desire. 24-48 hours after fermentation starts is about when the pros in Belgium do it, so you should be fine. You may even like the results better, as long as everything was sanitary. Next time I'd recommend making a thick syrup and boiling it for ten minutes to sanitize.

+1

Back