Is it too late to harvest some VOSS?

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I kegged on July 31st. Two fermenters have been sitting on the bench in my garage since then. There is about a quarter inch of beer sitting on top of the yeast/trub. It was pretty warm for the first 4-5 days (mid 80'sF), it has cooled down to mid 70's since. I am away right now and would not be able to harvest the yeast until Sunday. I could buy more yeast, not a big deal, but would like to reuse what I have.

Will it be too late to harvest this yeast come Sunday?

I don’t know, but I would guess no, not too late to harvest, unless the ambient temperatures were far outside the ideal range for the yeast.
ETA - I just saw VOSS, so certainly not outside acceptable temps.

I kegged on July 31st. Two fermenters have been sitting on the bench in my garage since then. There is about a quarter inch of beer sitting on top of the yeast/trub. It was pretty warm for the first 4-5 days (mid 80'sF), it has cooled down to mid 70's since. I am away right now and would not be able to harvest the yeast until Sunday. I could buy more yeast, not a big deal, but would like to reuse what I have.

Will it be too late to harvest this yeast come Sunday?
Here is a great podcast on harvesting kviek yeast.

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/6/1/7/617...96774718&hwt=a6aca18ac29c7575dd26cdb1a335ff39

Probably plenty of dead yeast but if you don't have a pedicle growing, it'll likely make clean beer.

It is the pedicle that concerns me... I think I will just buy a new package. It is difficult to work in brew days for one thing, and I use a crap ton of hops, not worth the risk of a spoiled batch.

It is the pedicle that concerns me... I think I will just buy a new package. It is difficult to work in brew days for one thing, and I use a crap ton of hops, not worth the risk of a spoiled batch.
Actually I've seen a pelicile type thing on my hornindal starters a very thin white film ontop at the end of fermentation. My thoughts these things are not well not the traditional kviek strains arnt a singular strain yeast.

A pellicle isn't something Kveik should be able to create. So if you do harvest I'd do a mini-batch as you may have some brett or something more exotic in there and see what it's like before committing your usual amount of hops to a batch.

If you do, it's real farmhouse brewing you're doing. And the risk is pretty low, Kveik can outcompete just about anything you put in the wort. It's probably the main reason why they could repitch the same culture for decades.

A pellicle isn't something Kveik should be able to create. So if you do harvest I'd do a mini-batch as you may have some brett or something more exotic in there and see what it's like before committing your usual amount of hops to a batch.

If you do, it's real farmhouse brewing you're doing. And the risk is pretty low, Kveik can outcompete just about anything you put in the wort. It's probably the main reason why they could repitch the same culture for decades.
I'll take a picture next starter I do.

Maybe I will use fresh yeast for my upcoming batch, but do the harvest, and make a starter with it, then decant the beer into a pop bottle. Carb it cool it, and see if it is salvageable.

Just get a fresh pack and overbuild a starter with that if you're worried. Then keep around 1/4 of it for the next batch. That's what I always do.

Back