Electric All in ones

Thanks everyone, any big differences from my notes I'll note and look around online some more.

@Craigerrr For the robobrew, that's a large mashtun deadspace!
It is just the space below the malt basket, it is not a "loss". Just something to be aware of when considering mash thickness.

I start heating for the boil when I lift the malt pipe and get ready to sparge. I remove the malt pipe when the wort temperature gets to about 200F. (~30 minutes) I generally end up with another quart draining into the bucket I sit it in, so that added to the absorption listed above is just about what I got batch sparging.

I start heating for the boil when I lift the malt pipe and get ready to sparge. I remove the malt pipe when the wort temperature gets to about 200F. (~30 minutes) I generally end up with another quart draining into the bucket I sit it in, so that added to the absorption listed above is just about what I got batch sparging.
I pretty much do the same. As soon as mash is complete, I go into a mash out then sparge. My mash starts heating to a boil at this point. I get most of it drained into the -kettle- and then place the malt pipe into a bucket and easily get a another quart or two while coming up to boil.

Brewzilla 35 litre

Evaporation rate 3.4 litres/hour
Grain absorption 0.8 litres/kg
Kettle dead space 0.7 litres
Mash tun volume 35 litres
Heat loss 0

The rest are default settings.

My grain absorption rate is probably lower than standard. I don't bother with the multiple screens in the malt pipe, I just use the bottom screen and a bag, which gets a bit of a squeeze at the end.

I use the pump to empty the kettle and tilt the device to the pump inlet. If I don't tilt it dead space is more like a litre. If you're brave/stupid enough to pick it up and pour it'd be 0.

And forgot about you weird people with mainly 110 volts power. Mine's a 240 volt system.

Last edited:
i've found on both the RoboBrew and Mash&Boil 110v systems I get ~3 quarts per hour boil off.
I get this same boil off rate in the robobrew!

I make 2.5 gallon batches BIAB using the Gigawort from Northern Brewer. Works very well. Good price.

However, if I was buying now , I might opt for the Digiboil.
What's it like cleaning the Gigawort? Do you use a brew bag since it doesn't have a sparge basket?

What's it like cleaning the Gigawort? Do you use a brew bag since it doesn't have a sparge basket?
The Gigawort is easy to clean.

I use a brew bag with a 9 inch wire rack in the bottom to keep the brew bag from hitting the heating element.

There have been questions about how well the mash temperature holds given the 6 degree dead and on the temperature controller. Even though the temperature controller swings 6 degrees, the mash temperature holds within about 1 degree.

I have been using it about 2 years with no issue.

The Gigawort is easy to clean.

I use a brew bag with a 9 inch wire rack in the bottom to keep the brew bag from hitting the heating element.

There have been questions about how well the mash temperature holds given the 6 degree dead and on the temperature controller. Even though the temperature controller swings 6 degrees, the mash temperature holds within about 1 degree.

I have been using it about 2 years with no issue.
I've been debating whether or not to go to an all in one system. Like you I'm a half batch brewer (2.5-3 gallon batches) but I'm brewing on my stove... Sort of. I use a sous vide wand during my mash to hold the mash temperature and circulate the wort. Then I put my kettle on to the 3300 watt power burner on my Samsung range. I can usually knock out a batch in 3.5 hours. That's strike water to washed gear. Does the gigawort's 4.4 gallon capacity limit you? And how long is your brew day?

I've been debating whether or not to go to an all in one system. Like you I'm a half batch brewer (2.5-3 gallon batches) but I'm brewing on my stove... Sort of. I use a sous vide wand during my mash to hold the mash temperature and circulate the wort. Then I put my kettle on to the 3300 watt power burner on my Samsung range. I can usually knock out a batch in 3.5 hours. That's strike water to washed gear. Does the gigawort's 4.4 gallon capacity limit you? And how long is your brew day?
Anvil Foundry has a smaller system that may interest you. 3.5 gallons maybe? Might be worth checking into.

Back