brew pot too small

Nothing improper about an aluminum brewing kettle. A lot less likely to scorch wort than in those cheapo SS kettles too.
Was thinking more of the ball valve in referencing "proper". ;)
my previous batches are all but devoured by thirsty,grateful buddies.
Maybe those "grateful" buddies can chip in for you new brew pot. :D
Can I add the boiled water to be used for topup into the spent grain and strain that to topup the wort?
DO NOT use water poured through your spent grain. You'll undo everything you accomplished by boiling the wort. Just top up with bottled water or right from the tap if you''ve got good filtration.

Last edited:
I agree about the ball valve, but figured if the OP hadn't bought a larger kettle to solve the problem it could well be due to finances. Pretty common in these trying times. Was just thinking of how being on a fixed income isn't always a bad thing.

I was also going to suggest getting or borrowing a bigger pot.
I think your restaurants are still closed, or only open with limitations? Maybe you can borrow a pot from your favourite restaurant in return for a couple of beers?
Or find one going out of business and buy one there. Kind of gruesome but it's today's reality.

sadly,ordering from ebay is probably a 1 month wait.
even the local brewshops are mostly sold out,cause everyone is homebrewing real beer,theres only so much pineapple beer you can stomach,lol
but ill be tackling the new 10l recipe today,got some good clarification from blackmuse,thanks bud.
my previous batches are all but devoured by thirsty,grateful buddies.;)

Honestly, you sound hooked! This month, next month... you'll probably still be brewing ;) Your friends will certainly want you to! :)
- Think about it - :)

Keep us posted on the next brew and how the process worked!

OH,
and for another 30 US dollars or so you can add a weldless ball valve. (That is what I did)

I bought a wledless stainless steel valve on ebay and then a step bit to drill the hole with.

- Not trying to push you - just give you options if you decide to jump to a bigger pot...

Honestly, you sound hooked! This month, next month... you'll probably still be brewing ;) Your friends will certainly want you to! :)
- Think about it - :)

Keep us posted on the next brew and how the process worked!
i did the 2nd rudi recipe today,it looked marvellous,the wort.
my boiloff rate is horrible,approx 3 liters p hr and i needed 5!
but it worked out good,i topped it up to the fermenter volume with cooled water.
gotta get a hydrometer!

but it worked out good,i topped it up to the fermenter volume with cooled water.
gotta get a hydrometer!
Whether your boil off rate is "X" or "Y" is not important, what IS important is knowing what your boil off rate is, and adding that to your equipment profile. You could do a test with a known amount of water. Only thing to keep in mind is the expansion when hot, approximately 4%. If your beginning measured amount is measured with cool water, you will need to let the boiled water cool before measuring the post boil volume.

gotta get a hydrometer!
3L an hour sounds good to me. What do you mean you need it to be 5? So you started with 9L and then boiled off 3L in the hour you boiled... You were left with 6L and you added all of that to the fermenter and then topped up to 10L with 4L of water? Or did you leave some of the wort behind with the trub in it?

You should update your Equipment Profile with your boil off rate.

Getting a hydrometer is a good idea too. You'll have a better idea of your Efficiency and what your final ABV is.

As far as pots go....
You don't need to buy from a brew supply shop. Just check at game or so, or gumtree...
You could also go for a big urn (electric water boiler). Should work fine for biab...

Sorry guys,
Internet was playing up big time.
Saying it didn't post, but it did, just didn't show on the screen
Then I tried editing and that didnt work either :(
Hope this is just going to be a single post.

Will try remove the text from 3 of them..... (Again)

3L an hour sounds good to me. What do you mean you need it to be 5? So you started with 9L and then boiled off 3L in the hour you boiled... You were left with 6L and you added all of that to the fermenter and then topped up to 10L with 4L of water? Or did you leave some of the wort behind with the trub in it?

You should update your Equipment Profile with your boil off rate.

Getting a hydrometer is a good idea too. You'll have a better idea of your Efficiency and what your final ABV is.
i ended up at about 6 liters.
was tryingg to keep to the recipe.
but ended with the 6 and topped it to 10 .
i realise now how that dramatically changes the gravity.
waiting for a chance/finance,covid work cuts,blah blah, to buy the proper hydrometer,then im on it!
thanks for input guys,will keep u posted on the outcome.
gotta do some research on extreme budget kegging now,starting with a c02 fire extinguisher(nooooo....),
a welding regulator
and a used stainless keg!....

Sorry guys,
Internet was playing up big time.
Saying it didn't post, but it did, just didn't show on the screen
Then I tried editing and that didnt work either :(
Hope this is just going to be a single post.

Will try remove the text from 3 of them..... (Again)
I suppose you got your point across :D!

Back