alcohol ban! need advice please

That's to bad you ran out, you can grab a jar of kviek slurry and then just drop a teaspoon of it into the next batch for a long time.

Ok
That's to bad you ran out, you can grab a jar of kviek slurry and then just drop a teaspoon of it into the next batch for a long time.
Ok let me get this in perspective.
I'm going to scoop up all the yucky slurry after siphoning off my fermented beer.

Then I'm going to pour the slurry into a jar with a screw top lid.

When I next make a batch I add only a teaspoon of slurry and no other dry yeast?
How much slurry would be appropriate for a 10liter batch?
What is the safest way to store the slurry and activate(?) it again?
Thank you all for the advice,I really appreciate it

If it's Kviek, yes to all of that.

A teaspoon worth is plenty for a 21L batch so you could do half that without much risk.

Make very sure you are using a clean jar when you do this, then just store it in the fridge and use a sanitized spoon any time you want a scoop of it.

You don't have to do anything to activate it, just drop it in the new wort and let it go.

It feels weird and wrong to do it at first, but it works fine and you can save a lot of money on yeast doing it this way.

I personally build a really big starter and then save some of it for next time, but if you already used all your clean yeast scooping a jar of slurry will absolutely work.

So what does @Zambezi Special think of the Carling black Label National tipple?

Them pics are hard to see well.
Looks as posted above there's some maize in it .

I'll drink Carling Black Label if there is no Mosi available ;)
Mosi is not being exported as we are perfectly able to drink it as fast as Zambian Breweries can brew it ....
Bkack label is OK, but just another lager as far as I'm concerned.
Better than budweiser, miller, corrs, castle lite and all of those though.

I'll drink Carling Black Label if there is no Mosi available ;)
Mosi is not being exported as we are perfectly able to drink it as fast as Zambian Breweries can brew it ....
Bkack label is OK, but just another lager as far as I'm concerned.
Better than budweiser, miller, corrs, castle lite and all of those though.
Well said my patriotic friend almost like a Queenslander saying they dispise XXXX bitter (it's horse piss:rolleyes:)...

Yeah the commercial mass produced Lager is hard to reproduce my thoughts these days is maybe aim for a 15lt final volume of lager wort then just top that last 6lt off with water that's what it tastes like to me watered down lager beer. Sorry

Well said my patriotic friend almost like a Queenslander saying they dispise XXXX bitter (it's horse piss:rolleyes:)...

Yeah the commercial mass produced Lager is hard to reproduce my thoughts these days is maybe aim for a 15lt final volume of lager wort then just top that last 6lt off with water that's what it tastes like to me watered down lager beer. Sorry

Don't get me wrong, I like my mosi :)
Esp in October in the valley with over 40 oC in the shade.
But I don't think I ever had a home brewed lager.....

Don't get me wrong, I like my mosi :)
Esp in October in the valley with over 40 oC in the shade.
But I don't think I ever had a home brewed lager.....
Yup totally get you mate nothing like a super lite clean refreshing lager after a day of sweating your ring out:p. That's comming for the both of us (breathes a sigh of relief)...

Ok

Ok let me get this in perspective.
I'm going to scoop up all the yucky slurry after siphoning off my fermented beer.

Then I'm going to pour the slurry into a jar with a screw top lid.

When I next make a batch I add only a teaspoon of slurry and no other dry yeast?
How much slurry would be appropriate for a 10liter batch?
What is the safest way to store the slurry and activate(?) it again?
Thank you all for the advice,I really appreciate it
Good idea to boil the jar(s) and lid(s) for 10 minutes, and cooling before putting the yeast slurry in there. There are a ton of videos on YouTube about harvesting yeast. I personally add boiled and cooled water to the slurry, mix it up real good, allow some of the trub to settle out, then pour the water (beer actually) with suspended yeast into jars. Once the settle, I will pour off the clear liquid, then combine them.

Don't you all just drink Fosters and VB anyway? ;)

hi there friends,
when siphoning to my bottles,im leaving a lot of the sediment behind in the fermenter.
seen that im bottle conditioning,will this affect the carbonation level?
im aware that the priming sugar needs some interaction with the yeast in the bottle to produce co2,so could this be a problem if im leaving most of the sediment in the fermenter?

I siphon away from as much sediment as I can. All of it if possible. I have never had a problem bottle carbonating. There is always a little yeast floating in your beer. I think just the act of moving my fermenter to the kitchen to do a bottle day stirs up enough yeast to carb. Use the carbonation calculator on this web site to help you. It has always worked for me.

I siphon away from as much sediment as I can. All of it if possible. I have never had a problem bottle carbonating. There is always a little yeast floating in your beer. I think just the act of moving my fermenter to the kitchen to do a bottle day stirs up enough yeast to carb. Use the carbonation calculator on this web site to help you. It has always worked for me.
i did use the calculator,tried one beer after 5 days bottle carbed,good head some gas,
i guess its too early?

i did use the calculator,tried one beer after 5 days bottle carbed,good head some gas,
i guess its too early?
Unfortunately it is too early. It typically takes 2 weeks. There is plenty of yeast still floating around. It is VERY rare not to have "enough good yeast" to bottle condition.

Patience is the hardest part of brewing!

if i float into kegging,i wont be able to bottle them?
fairly new to kegging,reading up on it,mostly its beer on tap.
i assume i cant be giving bottles to buddies if one kegs?

Hi everyone,im Rudi from South Africa.
Great to be a member,thank you.

Our beloved government has once again banned alcohol,apparently due to mind boggling covid 19 issues.
i managed to get some basic brewing supplies for a beer.
im not looking for a quality beer or anything refined,just a beer that i can brew and be ready to drink in 3 to 4 days.
I know eyes are rolling...
i cant get more supplies as those shops are also closed under the law from today!

i managed to get;
Citra hops 500g
Finest pale ale golden promise grain 5kg
English high performance ale yeast *8 packs
10 liter fermenter with carboy
I understand it takes a few weeks to brew a good beer,but desparate times.....

What can i brew with these ingredients that i could drink in 4 days.

in our previous lockdown i had minimal experience in brewin g traditional african beer,no stock of ingredients as of today!,and pineapple,ginger beer with bakers yeast!
these were horrible.

please,any suggestions or advice?thank you

Hi Rudi.

I am also from SA, Jhb. Did you manage to find grains etc? Most places I know sells, but stock is an issue. You could try Brewcraft.

Hopefully you have given up on brewing that Zamalek kak..o_O Try something different from the mainstream stuff man. You are the master now. Make it count :):):)

Cheers man!

Hi Rudi.

I am also from SA, Jhb. Did you manage to find grains etc? Most places I know sells, but stock is an issue. You could try Brewcraft.

Hopefully you have given up on brewing that Zamalek kak..o_O Try something different from the mainstream stuff man. You are the master now. Make it count :):):)

Cheers man!
howzit bru!
i managed to get grains two weeks ago,but most of the stores are sold out.
i still have stock left.
carbing the bottles seems to be my final hurdle,patience i believe...lol

if i float into kegging,i wont be able to bottle them?
fairly new to kegging,reading up on it,mostly its beer on tap.
i assume i cant be giving bottles to buddies if one kegs?

That is one reason I delayed moving to kegs for ages. I like to share and I give away a lot of bottles of my brew. Now, I have a couple of 2 and 4 L glass growlers/jugs I will just fill from the keg the day of and take with me. It just means we need to drink it all so I can take the container home with me or I need to ask for the growler back or they won't get any more beer from me!

Back