Quick Honey Wheat

rodwha

Trial Member
Reaction score
At times we are presented with family/friends getting together with just a month's notice. This prompted me to test out several recipes that might be a little more simple than I'd usually make them in the hopes that the flavors meld quicker.

I began my testing on the lighter end of the spectrum as I fully anticipated these to be more likely ready. I bottle, which certainly constrains me when time is an issue. My intentions are to ferment for 2 weeks, condition for 2 weeks, and then chill for 3 days (31 days total).

My blonde turned out very well, which I figured. But my honey wheat has a strange bite upfront that dies out quickly, and halfway through the beer isn't really noticed anymore, but the first few sips are quite off-putting to me (SWMBO doesn't mind as much).

I've worked on a honey wheat recipe and feel I've about nailed it down, though I give it 3 weeks/3 weeks/1 week and use a wheat yeast as well as honey malt (though my IBU's are generally lower).

This was the recipe I came up with (2.5 gal):

1.75 lbs 2-row
1.25 lbs soft white wheat berries
1 lb honey (FO)
1/4 lb light DME (OG was a little low)
0.3 oz Palisade @ 70/7 mins
0.4 oz Palisade @ 21 mins
1/2 pack US-05

So I'm wondering if honey just needs a little time or if it's something else as I've tried another today (maybe a week later) and that bite has mellowed out, though there's still something noticeable. Any insight?

I, too, notice a "bite" when brewing with honey. It fades somewhat with time but the easiest thing I find to counter it is not to brew with honey. If you want honey flavor, Gambrinus makes a honey malt that adds a honey-like flavor to beers. It works as a base malt, too.

all sugar ferments even honey and almost no honey flavor ends up in the beer, possibly a different mouth feel or bitterness if added late

I've been working on a honey wheat recipe for quite some time and have tried everything that's been advised. Though my beer may not taste exactly like honey it does have a honey flavor back there, and is very much like Blue Moon's honey wheat.

What I do is use 1/2 lb honey malt and ~2 lbs of honey @ flame out. I've also added it a week after fermentation began, but I prefer to get fairly accurate numbers so I add it at flameout.

I've never noticed this bite in any of the others I've made, and is why I figured it must be due to age as this one was hurried. Time has indeed helped it. Guess I need to try one today to see where it's at now.

Back