Unit conversion in the recipe database

acerola

Trial Member
Reaction score
This site has a great recipe collection.
Hovever my problem is that most of the recipes are in imperial units. I slowly bacame better and better in imperial units, but I still have to convert some of them with an external tool. Is there an easy way to convert all the unit for me? For example I could not used to Farenheit and some of the various mass units.

I'm new here, but I'll try to help. If you copy a recipe you want to brew into your recipe list and then go to edit it you can change the recipe units from US to Metric quickly. There is a drop down menu at the top of the editor under the recipe name. When you change that it converts all of the input data. Of course this doesn't help as a Trial Member if you have all of your 5 recipe slots filled.

Thank you. I was not aware of this solution. It is better than nothing. But I wish there would be an easier way. A one button conversion. Or simply they put both of the units on the page. For example they can display the secondary unit in parentheses. I like BYO in this regard they do exactly this with their recipes.
I prefer not to copy all the recipes I evaluate or just browsing.
I know USA is a big market, they use the imperial units. But the rest of the world is using metric. Other than this. This is a great site.

you can set defaults up in your profile under general settings/units

Yes I already found that. But it did not change the units on the recipe search page for me.
It only affects the new recipe function, I think.

correct, you cant change someone else's recipe on the fly, as stated just copy,save and change it as your recipe or recreate it and print out if your out of space

also when searching for recipes you can uncheck us and only get metric searches

Any chance it can change in the future? An avarage European has not the slightest idea what lb/qt/oz/F mean. This page give us several great calculators. While understanding a recipe is the greatest problem for a beginner if he not familiar with the units. If they can see their own units for example with hover over that would be a great help. I think it require minimal redesign while enormous help for a lot of people.

acerola said:
Any chance it can change in the future? An avarage European has not the slightest idea what lb/qt/oz/F mean. This page give us several great calculators. While understanding a recipe is the greatest problem for a beginner if he not familiar with the units. If they can see their own units for example with hover over that would be a great help. I think it require minimal redesign while enormous help for a lot of people.

I will discuss it with Josh.

I've just tried this suggested solution, it has a few niggles still. For instance, it doesn't convert hop units to metric, and if you use the drop-down it will convert the units for you - but the IBU changes!?!? Not sure if it's converting them inaccurately (though it does so to 1 decimal place of grams) or using a different fomula.

I've just tried this suggested solution, it has a few niggles still. For instance, it doesn't convert hop units to metric, and if you use the drop-down it will convert the units for you - but the IBU changes!?!? Not sure if it's converting them inaccurately (though it does so to 1 decimal place of grams) or using a different fomula.

I'm not sure what is going on- this is a very old post and we've had metric in the recipe builder for quite a while. Are you using a stand alone calculator, or the recipe builder?

Back