Show us your boil

NEIPA
20200711_135300.jpg

I have no need for 99% of the fancy brewing gadgets that are on the market. But if I could have one upgrade to my BIAB system it would definitely be a kettle with interior volume markings. Measuring volume with a ruler is a bit of a PITA. Chad’s picture is making me jealous.

I have no need for 99% of the fancy brewing gadgets that are on the market. But if I could have one upgrade to my BIAB system it would definitely be a kettle with interior volume markings. Measuring volume with a ruler is a bit of a PITA. Chad’s picture is making me jealous.
Ah the brewers lament. If only I had "that" one last brewing whatsit thingy, then I would be happy and never need to buy another whatsit thingy!

In most cases, the factory markings are off, so your ruler is likely more accurate. I know mine are off quite a bit and plan to measure and note the true volume that every mark represents, but never remember to do it.

Thanks Bob. I can now strike “Brew kettle with volume markings” off my shopping list.
I think I’ll get an extra keg instead.:D
Now I did see a post on here quite awhile back by a brewer who etched his own marking on the kettle using acid and some sorta electric current other more nousy folk may k ow what I mean.

I've got a ring on the keg I brew in I know that's the halfway weld it's 25lt so I'll spoon to this as a reference point while I'm boiling and filling kettle.

Thanks Bob. I can now strike “Brew kettle with volume markings” off my shopping list.
I think I’ll get an extra keg instead.:D
I find them useful even though, as Bob says, they're not necessarily correlated with reality. But I just need them to be consistent. So I assume it's right and just increase/decrease the volumes to fill the keg. We're all loosely correlated with reality most of the time anyway.

Back