New and need help

Brett Beer

Trial Member
Reaction score
A couple of months ago, I was talking with a co-worker and he divulged that he used to brew a fair amount of beer. I always wanted to try it and bought a 1 gal kit. That all went well and bought a few more pre-made kits to figure out what I enjoy. So far have done an APA, mango IPA, single hop IPA... To make a long story short, an uncle of mine gave me some of his old brewing materials that he no longer uses. A 5 gal carboy, a 7 gal pale, some airlocks, 4oz of fermax yeast nutrient, 3 - 1oz packs of UK fuggle (alpha 4.4%) hops, 2 - 1oz packs of centennial (alpha 7.7%) hops, a 5lb bag of pale ale malt extract, another 5lb back of malt extract, 3 - CBW pale ale malt extract and 2 - CBW pilsner light malt extract. I bought an 7 gal stainless steel pot. Any suggestions on a good 5 gal recipe to start with the ingredients provide?

I prefer the tastes of american pale ales and wheat beers. Also going to visit family in about 2 months and I'm hoping to bring some samples.

Thanks,
Brett

You have most of the makings for a good APA or IPA. Make sure your ingredients aren't too old. I would search the recipes on this site for one of the hops or malts and start from there. Take advantage of what you have on hand. Substitutions are certainly allowed. At this point you aren't trying to replicate anything, just starting to create something you like. It will take several cycles to dial in your tastes.

I think you can make a good APA with what you have.

I would suggest about 8 lbs of extract. Boil for 30 minutes.

Hop schedule:
1 oz Centennial at 30 min
1/2 oz Centennial at 10 minutes
1/2 oz Centennial dry hop

I think this will give you a very respectable APA. You can put this in the calculator and tweak it about based on your preferences. I would suggest a Safale US-05 yeast.

I think you can make a good APA with what you have.

I would suggest about 8 lbs of extract. Boil for 30 minutes.

Hop schedule:
1 oz Centennial at 30 min
1/2 oz Centennial at 10 minutes
1/2 oz Centennial dry hop

I think this will give you a very respectable APA. You can put this in the calculator and tweak it about based on your preferences. I would suggest a Safale US-05 yeast.
Thanks. I ended up buying 3 pacs of safale us-05 yeast this morning which should arrive in 2 days. I currently have 16 empty grolsch pints but ideally need 40 for a 5 gal batch... going to have to finish 24 grolsch pints in the next 4 weeks, lol.

Sounds like you have some hard work ahead of you.

Thanks. I ended up buying 3 pacs of safale us-05 yeast this morning which should arrive in 2 days. I currently have 16 empty grolsch pints but ideally need 40 for a 5 gal batch... going to have to finish 24 grolsch pints in the next 4 weeks, lol.
That's just 6 pints per week....you can do it

Input all your ingredients into "my inventory" and then hit the green "recipe suggestions" button. That should give you a good starting point.

Back