Show me your gardening Progress

I thought that was what you meant.... Since I've moved out west, I've discovered the best thing in the world on a BLT (besides bacon) is chipotle mayonnaise!

never tried that, but it sounds good.

BLT=bacon, lettuce & tomato.
PLT=pastrami, lettuce & tomato

PLT = OMG to all my Jewish good buddies! Don't tell them you put mayonnaise on that and definitely DEFINITELY DON"T serve that on white bread!

edit: it’s Ward! Hey neighbor? Whereabouts in South Central, I’m between Latrobe and Ligonier PA.

Yeahhh! Yunz my neighbor! ...we're not too far from Gettysburg.

That rouge plant was tough enough to make it though the year and come up on its own or as my dad used to refer to them..."Volunteered" ...but I guess the sugars and the acidic quality of the wort was too much for it. I'd see about scraping back any grain and try a water flush. And with you guys being so dry there; maybe catch some rain water off the roof or some other reclaimed method to flush the soil...ya know ..for science!

Last edited:
PLT = OMG to all my Jewish good buddies! Don't tell them you put mayonnaise on that and definitely DEFINITELY DON"T serve that on white bread!

Yeahhh! Yunz my neighbor! ...we're not too far from Gettysburg.

That rouge plant was tough enough to make it though the year and come up on its own or as my dad used to refer to them..."Volunteered" ...but I guess the sugars and the acidic quality of the wort was too much for it. I'd see about scraping back any grain and try a water flush. And with you guys being so dry there; maybe catch some rain water off the roof or some other reclaimed method to flush the soil...ya know ..for science!

PLT on rye with mustard. Mayo on the BLT :)

I decided to go ALL black plastic for tomatoes and peppers this year...I gotta figure out where to put cucs and squash....amazing how quick the soil heating up made a difference in the tomatoes I put in last week. I'll be staking them early this year!

20200531_172722.jpeg

Got an early start this year. Usually don't plant peppers and tomatoes until Mothers Day. Got some tomatoes in mid April, followed closely by peppers as they became available.
First pic from right to left, 2 Bell Peppers, 1 Poblano & a Jalapeño. Second pic. Another Jalapeño, an Anaheim and 3 Pimentos. Blossoms on the bells and poblano.
Peppers1.jpg

Peppers2.jpg

Looks like we'll have ripe tomatoes by the 4th of July. A few on the Celebrity are about 2" diameter. Can't wait for the first BLT of the season.
Celebrity.jpg

One of the 2 Early Girls in barrels have a few a bit smaller than golf balls.

Early Girl1.jpg

Early Girl2.jpg

We had contracted for some landscape work to be done early in the year and ended up just barely getting it done before everything shut down in march. Part of the process was putting in a retaining wall and turning a sloping section along the back fence into nice level garden area. I was able to get most stuff in during the last couple of weeks of March. Since it's new soil (garden mix) and hasn't been amended a lot, everything was a little slow but it's looking fairly lush with recent rains and plenty of compost. I've harvested greens (Swiss chard and Malabar), herbs, peppers, beans and a few tomatoes. Eggplants are getting big and there's corn, cucumbers and okra coming on.

20200602_150649.jpg

20200602_150715.jpg

We had contracted for some landscape work to be done early in the year and ended up just barely getting it done before everything shut down in march. Part of the process was putting in a retaining wall and turning a sloping section along the back fence into nice level garden area. I was able to get most stuff in during the last couple of weeks of March. Since it's new soil (garden mix) and hasn't been amended a lot, everything was a little slow but it's looking fairly lush with recent rains and plenty of compost. I've harvested greens (Swiss chard and Malabar), herbs, peppers, beans and a few tomatoes. Eggplants are getting big and there's corn, cucumbers and okra coming on.

View attachment 10295
View attachment 10296

Nice!
The short growing season is about the only thing I don't like about the high desert. I use every cheat in the book to get an early start and extend the harvest for as long as I can. My dad was raised a farm Northeast of you, just outside of Cameron. They had crops in the ground all year long. With enough cow shit and water we can grow about anything here, but the seasons are restricting.

Reactions: J A

View attachment 10295
View attachment 10296

Awesome! Looks nice and edible. We revived our garden plot this year and all that is up is spuds, radishes, lettuce and been picking some asparagus.

My dad was raised a farm Northeast of you, just outside of Cameron.
We're cousins, then! :D My mother and father were both from Milam County - Cameron and Buckholts, mostly. All but my twin brother and myself were born there before the family moved to Houston.
That's the start of East Texas, geologically and climatologically speaking, blackland river bottom. Yes, you can grow something year round for sure.
Here's it's a drier and a little hotter. We have long growing seasons but it's tricky to balance day length and temperature. Nearly impossible to get ripe tomatoes and lettuce in the same patch. Mostly, it's greens in fall (most will over-winter into spring); Broccoli, cabbage, etc thru winter/early spring; tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, squash, etc in the late spring and all done by mid-July; Okra and black-eye peas, canteloupe and watermelon through the hottest months. If you're industrious and plant at the right time you can get a full fall crop of tomatoes, eggplants and peppers, etc before the first frost.
PS...my sister is the geneologist in the family and she'll insist on knowing your family history. Feel free to forward any names and birth-places you know of and I'll pass it on. :)

Speaking of gardening, do any of you gardeners have a tiller recommendation?

The $20 buck by the road side MTD model I have been using for the past 6 years locked up on me but I sure got my money outta that one! I have been reading up on a Troy-Bilt Pony and had pulled the trigger only to find them all sold out until the end of the month ...Sad!

We're cousins, then! :D My mother and father were both from Milam County - Cameron and Buckholts, mostly. All but my twin brother and myself were born there before the family moved to Houston.
That's the start of East Texas, geologically and climatologically speaking, blackland river bottom. Yes, you can grow something year round for sure.
Here's it's a drier and a little hotter. We have long growing seasons but it's tricky to balance day length and temperature. Nearly impossible to get ripe tomatoes and lettuce in the same patch. Mostly, it's greens in fall (most will over-winter into spring); Broccoli, cabbage, etc thru winter/early spring; tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, squash, etc in the late spring and all done by mid-July; Okra and black-eye peas, canteloupe and watermelon through the hottest months. If you're industrious and plant at the right time you can get a full fall crop of tomatoes, eggplants and peppers, etc before the first frost.
PS...my sister is the geneologist in the family and she'll insist on knowing your family history. Feel free to forward any names and birth-places you know of and I'll pass it on. :)
Most of dad's family ended up in Pasadena, Deer Park and out as far as La Porte around the early 1950s. Looks like the popular path led south :) Not a bunch of info except dad and his siblings as far as birthplaces, but will send what I have. Thanks.

This has been our Covid-19 project. That part of the yard was too steep for grass so we put in a wildflower garden. It was looking weedy so we decided to terrace it. The first tier is my vegetable garden, the upper ones belong to SWAMBO. Some issues keeping the jackalope larvae out but the last repellent seems to be working. I have the irrigation in, all that's left is mulching and getting the fence repaired.

Attachments

• 20200604_200457.jpg
    20200604_200457.jpg
    514.3 KB · Views: 105
This has been our Covid-19 project. That part of the yard was too steep for grass so we put in a wildflower garden. It was looking weedy so we decided to terrace it. The first tier is my vegetable garden, the upper ones belong to SWAMBO. Some issues keeping the jackalope larvae out but the last repellent seems to be working. I have the irrigation in, all that's left is mulching and getting the fence repaired.
Oh great work noseybear wow that is excellent work there! As a termite man and timber man I'm glad you went rock with the retaining walls they will repay you and your family beyond your most prized aged beer/wine.
Inspiring stuff!

Here's this evening's pick no kidding:)!
That pineapple weighed in at 3.3kg.
All that green stuff is going into a stir fry along with home grown ginger and Tumeric.
That's a Amber Lager nestled in amongst the produce View attachment 10653
Very nice! Growing your own pineapple. How cool is that!

Back